Radius Search

Hello,

I posted in the General Discussion forum about a radius search feature (http://developer.yahoo.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=1879), and was directed here to make an enhancement request. While I understand your point, there are use cases where a radius search is preferable.

For example, take Manhattan, New York. There are many small zip code regions. A given region may only have a limited number of neighbors, however, I'd like to see all the zip codes within reasonable walking distance (say 1 mile). This area may span multiple zip codes, and thus a neighbor search is insufficient.

Jon

by
3 Replies
  • QUOTE (Jon @ Jun 22 2009, 11:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Hello,

I posted in the General Discussion forum about a radius search feature (http://developer.yahoo.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=1879), and was directed here to make an enhancement request. While I understand your point, there are use cases where a radius search is preferable.

For example, take Manhattan, New York. There are many small zip code regions. A given region may only have a limited number of neighbors, however, I'd like to see all the zip codes within reasonable walking distance (say 1 mile). This area may span multiple zip codes, and thus a neighbor search is insufficient.

Jon

We too are in need of a radius search. We run projects that scope content submission to within x miles of a city, there is no other way to handle it. Granted, my request would be for the GeoPlanet Data to include centroid information so that we can utilize traditional geo mathematics in MySQL / Sphinx search to lookup places within x miles of a GeoPlanet location. If bounding boxes were included we could even find places within x miles of the outer limits of our central place, all places who's entirety (whole bounding box) is within the given radius, or even places who have any of their bounding box within the given radius.

• I also need a radius search - I'm a commercial real estate broker and need to know, say, how many fast food restaurants are within a 3- mile radius.

I thought you had started testing this feature, as I've used it in the past (albeit not perfect when I used it).

How hard is it to develop it?  We already have the search an map tools . . . one would think it would be easy to overlay a radius over the map results of the search (but I'm not a computer programmer).

Thanks!
This forum is locked.

Recent Posts

in GeoPlanet Enhancement Requests