testing on production TV

We have a production Samsung TV to which I want to deploy dev/test code. In the past, I zipped up widgets and sent them to our Yahoo POC to deploy with our developer key (as shown in the Gallery Widget) and Yahoo ID. This process is pretty clunky and doesn't get us the turnaround we need. Is there a faster way to get our widgets onto just our TV?

Failing that, is there a way to flash our production TV into a development TV? Then, perhaps I can upload widgets to it at will.

-- Bosco

by
5 Replies
  • QUOTE (boscomonkey @ May 22 2009, 09:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    We have a production Samsung TV to which I want to deploy dev/test code. In the past, I zipped up widgets and sent them to our Yahoo POC to deploy with our developer key (as shown in the Gallery Widget) and Yahoo ID. This process is pretty clunky and doesn't get us the turnaround we need. Is there a faster way to get our widgets onto just our TV?

We are just fixing to release a tool which will allow self-upload and deployment of test widgets. Please do realize you are on the very bleeding edge of a new platform so there are points which will constantly be improving. I will see if I can get you on the first list of people to be setup on that tool, but realize we have a lot of developers (far more than here on the forums) so bare with us as we make things better.

QUOTE (boscomonkey @ May 22 2009, 09:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Failing that, is there a way to flash our production TV into a development TV? Then, perhaps I can upload widgets to it at will.

That is not possible for security reasons. Even prototype TVs in the field (which some people have) don't have access to directly upload widgets to the device.
  • QUOTE (Jeremy Johnstone @ May 22 2009, 11:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    We are just fixing to release a tool which will allow self-upload and deployment of test widgets. Please do realize you are on the very bleeding edge of a new platform so there are points which will constantly be improving. I will see if I can get you on the first list of people to be setup on that tool, [...]

That would be GREAT! Not being able to deploy at will has been a serious pain point.
  • QUOTE (boscomonkey @ May 22 2009, 04:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    That would be GREAT! Not being able to deploy at will has been a serious pain point.

Imagine being on the receiving side with hundreds of developers submitting widgets for testing, many of which daily. :P-Jeremy
  • QUOTE (Jeremy Johnstone @ May 22 2009, 11:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    We are just fixing to release a tool which will allow self-upload and deployment of test widgets. Please do realize you are on the very bleeding edge of a new platform so there are points which will constantly be improving. I will see if I can get you on the first list of people to be setup on that tool, but realize we have a lot of developers (far more than here on the forums) so bare with us as we make things better.
    [...]

Any progress on the tool? I volunteer to be an alpha/beta/whatever tester.
  • QUOTE (boscomonkey @ Jun 4 2009, 03:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Any progress on the tool? I volunteer to be an alpha/beta/whatever tester.

Send an email to tvwidgets (at) yahoo-inc (dot) com and request to be added.

-Jeremy

Recent Posts

in General - Yahoo! TV Widgets