keyboard options

The Tv widget user guide references different keyboard layout options, an alphanumeric option and a numpad layout.

Is the numpad layout available to us?

by
15 Replies
  • QUOTE (c.penny67 @ Apr 21 2009, 06:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    The Tv widget user guide references different keyboard layout options, an alphanumeric option and a numpad layout.

Is the numpad layout available to us?

Are you using the keyboard in a control or directly? The numpad is available to you, I just need to know how you want to access it to give you the right directions to access it.
  • QUOTE (Jeremy Johnstone @ Apr 21 2009, 10:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Are you using the keyboard in a control or directly? The numpad is available to you, I just need to know how you want to access it to give you the right directions to access it.

Hi, I'd like to access numpad keyboard from input button, how can I do that?
  • TextEntryButton controls have a 'keyboard' config parameter, which is a config sub-object passed directly to the created keyboard. The numeric layout is named 'pinentry'.

In your view's createView method:

CODE
    this.controls.numeric_input = new KONtx.control.TextEntryButton({
    guid: "MyViewNumericInput",
    events: {
    onChangeValue: function (event) {
    log('new value:', event.payload.value);
    }
    },
    keyboard: {
    layout: 'pinentry'
    }
    }).appendTo( this );
  • Did keville's post help you? Can you successfully use the number pad?
  • QUOTE (Jim Cortez @ Jul 27 2009, 03:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Did keville's post help you? Can you successfully use the number pad?

Yes, thank you.
  • Another keyboard questions: Is it possible to input letters using pinentry keyboard layout and is it possible to enter digits on the remote control instead of navigating to required button on the on-screen keyboard or it will just change the channel?
  • QUOTE (hriuki @ Aug 11 2009, 08:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Another keyboard questions: Is it possible to input letters using pinentry keyboard layout and is it possible to enter digits on the remote control instead of navigating to required button on the on-screen keyboard or it will just change the channel?

Yes, it is possible to use the numeric on-screen keyboard using the "pinentry" keyboard layout.

CODE
    new KONtx.control.TextEntryButton({
    guid: 'myTextEntry',
    onValueChanged: function () {
    //
    }
    },
    maxLength: 20,
    }
    }).appendTo(this);

or
    CODE
    new KONtx.control.Keyboard({
    guid: 'myKeycaps',
    layout: 'pinentry',
    //
    },
    styles: {
    //
    }
    }).appendTo(this);

It is not currently possible to bind the keyboard to the numeric physical keys.

Does that help?

Jim
  • QUOTE (Jim @ Aug 17 2009, 03:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Yes, it is possible to use the numeric on-screen keyboard using the "pinentry" keyboard layout.

CODE
    new KONtx.control.TextEntryButton({
    guid: 'myTextEntry',
    onValueChanged: function () {
    //
    }
    },
    }
    }).appendTo(this);

or
    CODE
    new KONtx.control.Keyboard({
    guid: 'myKeycaps',
    layout: 'pinentry',
    //
    },
    styles: {
    //
    }
    }).appendTo(this);

Does that help?

Jim

Sorry, didn't get your answer. I want to input a string, for instance 'abcdef' using pinentry keyboard, like you type sms on a mobile. I don't think the code above helps to do this.
  • QUOTE (hriuki @ Aug 18 2009, 02:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Sorry, didn't get your answer. I want to input a string, for instance 'abcdef' using pinentry keyboard, like you type sms on a mobile. I don't think the code above helps to do this.

You cannot currently use the number keys to input letters. Your only options are to use the full on-screen keyboard or on-screen numeric keyboard.
    Jim
  • Will developers eventually have the ability to create their own input mechanisms?
    Is this on the widget roadmap?
    Is there a widget roadmap?
    Is it public?
  • http://developer.yahoo.net/forum/index.php...opic=2203"" rel="nofollow" target="ext">You might want to look at http://developer.yahoo.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=2203</a>. Ken does a good job explaining why this is difficult.
    Jim
  • QUOTE (Jim @ Aug 21 2009, 01:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    http://developer.yahoo.net/forum/index.php...opic=2203"" rel="nofollow" target="ext">You might want to look at http://developer.yahoo.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=2203</a>. Ken does a good job explaining why this is difficult.
    Jim

You should add a Listener for the Keyboard-Entry. I want to be able to create a completer based on the input. If someone enters "Ma" i want to listen to the input and update a list of possible values ("Madonna" , "Machine Head", ...). That would speed up the input process. Entering the complete Name with the remote control and the Up/Down/Left/Right-Cursors is very time consuming.
  • QUOTE (putpat@... @ Aug 23 2009, 10:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    You should add a Listener for the Keyboard-Entry. I want to be able to create a completer based on the input. If someone enters "Ma" i want to listen to the input and update a list of possible values ("Madonna" , "Machine Head", ...). That would speed up the input process. Entering the complete Name with the remote control and the Up/Down/Left/Right-Cursors is very time consuming.

Functionality is coming along these lines already.

-Jeremy

Does that help?

Jim

In a Sudoku widget, when you press a number on the remote control, it puts that number on screen, how can you do that?
  • QUOTE (hriuki @ Sep 4 2009, 01:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    In a Sudoku widget, when you press a number on the remote control, it puts that number on screen, how can you do that?

This is only possible in fullscreen at this time. That might change, but as is right now that is the case.

-Jeremy

Recent Posts

in General - Yahoo! TV Widgets