install external widgets

Hi to all, I'm new to this forum, and I'm trying to understand on how create a widget...
I have got some difficult because doesn't exist anything like a "widget for dummies" guide, nor a step-by-step "hello-world"widget, so I'm trying to learn from existent widgets.

I read in http://connectedtv.yahoo.com/services/tv-widgets that a lot of widgets exist, such as twitter, flickr, Y! weather, and so on, but I'm not able nor to download them from that page or directly from Simulator.
Does exist a way to get them, or it's only advertising for future applications?

thanks to all

Regards
Gbinrete

by
10 Replies
  • Many of those widgets are third party widgets or are Yahoo! content widgets. They are available on TVs, but as they contain copyrighted code they aren't available on the WDK simulator.

-Jeremy
  • Thanks for your response Jeremy.
    I have anoter little question: I think that simulate the experience of final user is important than write good code... so can you tell me if already exist a "Y! connectedtv ready" television on sale in Europe?
    I did some research but I saw that the only (high end) models are only available in U.S...
    If not, do you know if exists a firmware to run widgets on Samsung TV serie 7 (also if it hasn't got Intel CE3100 processor inside)?
    For me it's very important, also because on both manual and in this forum I read more than once that linux emulator perfformances are less than CE3100 TVs.

This could help a lot, since the development env is still not soo easy to operate and a lot of docs are still to come ( "getting started" manual, more widget examples), see how other have managed the user interation would be useful.

I understand that actual state is something like a pre-beta, and I hope that my think was taken as a creative, and not as a distructive comment :)
  • There are template widgets in the WDK that can be used to start development. For example, there is a video widget template. Jeremy can explain further how to use them.

There are 21 Samsung TV models available today including models in Europe. Here is a sample of the model numbers available from Samsung. http://connectedtv.yahoo.com/partners/samsung.

The Samsung TVs in Europe do not use the Intel CE 3100.
  • Since I live in Europe (Portugal), I'm very interested in this thread...

I have a Samsung 40 Inch LED TV - UE40B8000-XWXXC, but when I try to download widgets from the @Internet interface (on the TV), I only have like 2 available (youtube video and weather widgets)...

Can I develop widgets with WDK that can be delivered to this TV model here in Portugal? How can I deploy them, using the USB port?

Regards
  • QUOTE (Marco A. @ Nov 5 2009, 09:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Since I live in Europe (Portugal), I'm very interested in this thread...

I have a Samsung 40 Inch LED TV - UE40B8000-XWXXC, but when I try to download widgets from the @Internet interface (on the TV), I only have like 2 available (youtube video and weather widgets)...

Can I develop widgets with WDK that can be delivered to this TV model here in Portugal? How can I deploy them, using the USB port?

Regards

You should be able to deliver a widget in Portugal just fine, especially if you can already access YouTube and the Weather widget.

See page 85-86 of the Developer Guide for instructions on uploading your widget, and testing on a TV.

You do not deploy using USB, but instead you use a web based tool at http://gallery.tv.widgets.yahoo.com/publisher/.
  • Thanks Steve for the reply, but I think I'm in a dead end...

I just went to my TV set to look at the @Internet area to see the widget gallery and see the developer code, but I doesn't have any! Pressing the green buton, doesn't shows anything...

To be able to develop the widgets, do I have to buy a "special" TV set (developer model?).

Anyway my TV Set's widgets don't look like the ones from the WDK... it seems like a different framework...

I also find very strange that I can't change my localization to Portugal in the WDK, it only shows a restrict group of countries, being Spain the nearest to me...

What can I do as it seems that my TV is using a different system?

This is the info I could get from the TV:

TV Model: Samsung UE40B8000
    Firmware Version: T-CHU7DEUC-2008.2
    Internet Version: 1.060
    Browser: 5.0.00123:0134-40:131-...

Regards

QUOTE (Steve @ Nov 5 2009, 12:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    You should be able to deliver a widget in Portugal just fine, especially if you can already access YouTube and the Weather widget.

See page 85-86 of the Developer Guide for instructions on uploading your widget, and testing on a TV.

You do not deploy using USB, but instead you use a web based tool at http://gallery.tv.widgets.yahoo.com/publisher/.
  • QUOTE (Marco A. @ Nov 5 2009, 05:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Thanks Steve for the reply, but I think I'm in a dead end...

I just went to my TV set to look at the @Internet area to see the widget gallery and see the developer code, but I doesn't have any! Pressing the green buton, doesn't shows anything...

To be able to develop the widgets, do I have to buy a "special" TV set (developer model?).

Anyway my TV Set's widgets don't look like the ones from the WDK... it seems like a different framework...

I also find very strange that I can't change my localization to Portugal in the WDK, it only shows a restrict group of countries, being Spain the nearest to me...

What can I do as it seems that my TV is using a different system?

This is the info I could get from the TV:

TV Model: Samsung UE40B8000
    Firmware Version: T-CHU7DEUC-2008.2
    Internet Version: 1.060
    Browser: 5.0.00123:0134-40:131-...

Regards

First you need to launch the Widget Gallery widget, then you should be able to press the green button, then select Developer Settings, and the code should be displayed there. Do you not have a widget gallery widget?

You do not need a special TV. Any TV that supports Yahoo Widgets should allow you to download a widget for testing purposes.

After you click the Developer Settings button (assuming you have this option), you would click Show My Test Widgets, and sign in with your Yahoo username/password. This will create a Test category under the widget gallery that will display any widgets you uploaded using the publisher tool mentioned above.

How do the widgets look different? I've noticed on the Samsung TV's that there are some differences, such as a transparent border around the widget, and other small differences.

I can't comment on there being no support for Portugal. Perhaps only a limited number of countries are being supported initially. Not sure though. Perhaps someone from Yahoo could comment on this.
  • Hi again Steve.

I just contacted Samsung Portugal's client support and they confirmed my deduction, the Yahoo Widgets functionality is not implemented in Portugal yet... the TV does support it, but it's service is not available here yet. It only has some preconfigured widgets (Youtube viewer, USA Today News and some Weather app).

Only a restricted group of countries have (as of now) this service implemented... I expect Samsung will eventually include Portugal to.

Meanwhile I will start developing and testing in the simulator and as soon as Samsung brings the service to Portugal, I'll start testing the widgets in the TV Set.

Thanks again for your help.

Regards

QUOTE (Steve @ Nov 6 2009, 03:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    First you need to launch the Widget Gallery widget, then you should be able to press the green button, then select Developer Settings, and the code should be displayed there. Do you not have a widget gallery widget?

You do not need a special TV. Any TV that supports Yahoo Widgets should allow you to download a widget for testing purposes.

After you click the Developer Settings button (assuming you have this option), you would click Show My Test Widgets, and sign in with your Yahoo username/password. This will create a Test category under the widget gallery that will display any widgets you uploaded using the publisher tool mentioned above.

How do the widgets look different? I've noticed on the Samsung TV's that there are some differences, such as a transparent border around the widget, and other small differences.

I can't comment on there being no support for Portugal. Perhaps only a limited number of countries are being supported initially. Not sure though. Perhaps someone from Yahoo could comment on this.
  • QUOTE (Marco A. @ Nov 6 2009, 04:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Hi again Steve.

I just contacted Samsung Portugal's client support and they confirmed my deduction, the Yahoo Widgets functionality is not implemented in Portugal yet... the TV does support it, but it's service is not available here yet. It only has some preconfigured widgets (Youtube viewer, USA Today News and some Weather app).

Only a restricted group of countries have (as of now) this service implemented... I expect Samsung will eventually include Portugal to.

Meanwhile I will start developing and testing in the simulator and as soon as Samsung brings the service to Portugal, I'll start testing the widgets in the TV Set.

Thanks again for your help.

Regards

Interesting. Good to know. Thanks
  • All,

Yahoo! TV Widgets are currently supported in 13 countries with 10 of those countries in Europe including the UK, Germany, France, Italy, Spain, The Netherlands, Denmark, Sweden, Norway, Finland. Unfortunately, Portugal is not on the list of supported countries by Samsung and Yahoo! at this time.

You should still be able to see your TV Widget on your specific Samsung TV using the Developer only settings already mentioned in the thread above. This would be for testing purposes only and would not show up in the production Yahoo! TV Widget Gallery.

Regards,
    Russ
  • My country Poland is not on that list, but there are localized version of widgets. There is at least one widget which use polish news server.
    My Samsung TV UE46B7000 original has no developer option in widget gallery. I have tried: enabling developer option in tv service menu, change country settings in service menu, change country settings in widget setup, few resets of widget system and after few hours of playing with these option developer menu appeared in widget gallery. I probably cant reproduce this solution but it is possible to enable widget developer mode in samsung tv in any country.

Recent Posts

in General - Yahoo! TV Widgets