colour keys on Sony

Like many other developers, I've had problems detecting colour key presses in full screen mode.

Subscribing to the "onColorKeyPress" event using the code below simply does not seem to work and my handler function is never called.

CODE
		this._colorKeyHandler.subscribeTo(KONtx.application, "onColorKeyPress");

I resorted to adding a "keydown" event listener and testing directly for the keycodes 404,405,406 for green, yellow and blue. This works in the Simulator and on a Euro Samsung 2009. However, we have just begun testing on a Euro Sony and the keycode reported whenever a colour button is pressed is always 0. Again, subscribing to "onColorKeyPress" does not work.

There is clearly a serious issue with detecting colour key presses and since it prevents apps from functioning it requires immediate top level attention from Yahoo support if they expect developers to stick with the platform.

by
13 Replies
  • Anyone from Yahoo care to give some indication that they've even read this post?
  • QUOTE (marc.coupar @ Aug 16 2010, 09:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Like many other developers, I've had problems detecting colour key presses in full screen mode.

Subscribing to the "onColorKeyPress" event using the code below simply does not seem to work and my handler function is never called.

CODE
    		this._colorKeyHandler.subscribeTo(KONtx.application, "onColorKeyPress");

I resorted to adding a "keydown" event listener and testing directly for the keycodes 404,405,406 for green, yellow and blue. This works in the Simulator and on a Euro Samsung 2009. However, we have just begun testing on a Euro Sony and the keycode reported whenever a colour button is pressed is always 0. Again, subscribing to "onColorKeyPress" does not work.

There is clearly a serious issue with detecting colour key presses and since it prevents apps from functioning it requires immediate top level attention from Yahoo support if they expect developers to stick with the platform.

The color keys are managed globally through our system software and the key events are exposed to the widget when in full screen. The system software that handles this was developed by Yahoo! in all TVs except for Sony. Sony developed their own layer, which clearly has a bug in it. We will inform them about this issue, so they can rectify it on their end as soon as possible. In the meantime, please continue using the simulator and your Samsung TV to finish your development. Let me know if you run into any more issues in the simulator or Samsung TV.
  • Hi Marc,

We have read this and I am looking into this now. Sorry I personal don't have an answer to this questions but am working with our dev team to get an answer soon. Sorry for the delay :)-Austin
  • QUOTE (Austin Teames @ Aug 16 2010, 01:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Hi Marc,

We have read this and I am looking into this now. Sorry I personal don't have an answer to this questions but am working with our dev team to get an answer soon. Sorry for the delay :)include("Framework/kontx/1.2/src/all.js");
  • QUOTE (marc.coupar @ Aug 16 2010, 01:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Ok, if it's any help I've been using KONTx 1.2 using

include("Framework/kontx/1.2/src/all.js");

Just as an FYI, that line only indicates you have a required minimum of needing Framework 1.2. If the TV only had Framework 1.1 or lower (which isn't the case on any TV anymore), then your widget wouldn't run (as you would expect). If however the TV has Framework 1.3 on it, you will automatically get the newer framework. This is the case for all 1.x versions of the Framework.

To see the actual version of the Framework in use on the device, check inside the settings of the Widget Gallery widget.

-Jeremy
  • QUOTE (jeremy.johnstone @ Aug 17 2010, 06:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Just as an FYI, that line only indicates you have a required minimum of needing Framework 1.2. If the TV only had Framework 1.1 or lower (which isn't the case on any TV anymore), then your widget wouldn't run (as you would expect). If however the TV has Framework 1.3 on it, you will automatically get the newer framework. This is the case for all 1.x versions of the Framework.

To see the actual version of the Framework in use on the device, check inside the settings of the Widget Gallery widget.

-Jeremy

Thanks for the info.

Can you pass on any updates on the Sony fix as soon as it's available as obviously my client won't be too impressed that they can't launch on the brand?

btw there is another bug in the Sony Widget Gallery under "TV Widget Software". The version number variables appear to be undefined and display along the lines of "Version.cell.item_version"
  • btw just to re-iterate, I cannot get "onColorKeyPress" to work on Samsungs or the simulator either and am detecting them by their keycode values.
  • What year Sony TV are you using, 2009 or 2010?
  • Can you verify the year of the Sony TV model? Is it a 2009 or 2010 Sony TV?
  • Sony is aware of these issues and plans to address in upcoming firmware release(s).

Thanks,
    -Austin
  • @marc.coupar:

Can you submit your widget to us to have a look at? We can take a look at it and test on our end as well. It may help us moving forward with other widgets as well.

Thanks!
    -Austin
  • QUOTE (Austin Teames @ Sep 27 2010, 12:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    @marc.coupar:

Can you submit your widget to us to have a look at? We can take a look at it and test on our end as well. It may help us moving forward with other widgets as well.

Thanks!
    -Austin

Hi Austin

The app is currently going through Yahoo QA if that enables you to look at it.

Otherwise, if you email marc@bedrock.tv with your tv developer code then I will enable it for you.

ps are you from Sony or Yahoo?

Thanks
    Marc
  • Hey Marc, Sorry for the delayed response. I am with Yahoo! and have also been communicating with you on email :)-Austin

Recent Posts

in General - Yahoo! TV Widgets