Zip code information

Is there a way to access the profile or system settings from within a widget? I would like to be able to access the zip code that the user has defined.

by
8 Replies
  • QUOTE (jakes @ Nov 23 2009, 08:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Is there a way to access the profile or system settings from within a widget? I would like to be able to access the zip code that the user has defined.

There is no documented way. that I know of. I would have thought that tv.system.locationCode would contain this value but is blank on Samsung's. I haven't tested these on an actual TV, but these work in the simulator, however I don't know if you should rely on these as they are undocumented:

CODE
    specialSettings.get("locationCode");
    yahooSettings.get("locationCode");
  • Both do not work on a TV. The WDK doesn't have the security lockdowns the TVs do and subsequently everything runs on the WDK with full permissions.

-Jeremy
  • So is there a way to get the user profile information in a widget, (like zipcode)?
    I see there is a User Profile Store, but I can't find they key values to pull data from there.
  • Hi everyone!
    I'm building a widget that pulls a list of cable service providers based on user location by zip code. In the Yahoo profile under system settings there's an area that stores zip code information and I'm wondering if there's a way to access that through the profileData. Any help or advice is much appreciated.

Thanks!
    Ray
  • There's a previous thread about this but my understanding is no.
  • Hi Ray,
    You can access that information in the specialSettings storage object like this:

CODE

Please be aware that the information may not be there. Users are not obligated to input their zipcode. If it's not there, you could always ask them for it.

- Ben
  • QUOTE (Benjamin Toll @ Mar 26 2010, 01:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Hi Ray,
    You can access that information in the specialSettings storage object like this:

CODE

Please be aware that the information may not be there. Users are not obligated to input their zipcode. If it's not there, you could always ask them for it.

- Ben

Is the following post from Jeremy incorrect? http://developer.yahoo.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=3537
  • No, he wasn't incorrect. Things change quickly. I wouldn't rely on the zipcode being there, though.

QUOTE (Steve @ Mar 26 2010, 02:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Is the following post from Jeremy incorrect? http://developer.yahoo.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=3537

By the way, I had tested on a 2010 Samsung and was able to access the zipcode in the specialSettings object.

Recent Posts

in General - Yahoo! TV Widgets