What TV should I purchase?

I am a developer looking to purchase a new TV and I wanted to get some feedback on what TV to buy? I would like to do some testing on the device but would also like to get a TV that is snappy when running widgets. I have noticed some TVs are a little slower when running the TV widgets. I’m not as concerned with picture quality as they all appear to look great to me. What TV is fastest with the widgets? What TV is best to test my widgets on? My widget will be playing video so I am wondering if any particular brand of TV is better for testing video in a widget?

by
21 Replies
  • In terms of raw performance, as of today the fastest TV for running widgets is the Samsung 2010 TVs and have the broadest feature support. Vizio 2010 TVs would probably come in second as far as performance goes and they definitely are competitive price wise. If all you are looking for is a test TV, Vizio has a great one available in a 22" size for under $350 (Amazon link here: http://amzn.to/a80XLa ). Where are you located geographically?

-Jeremy
  • QUOTE (Jeremy Johnstone @ Jun 29 2010, 05:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Where are you located geographically?

-Jeremy

Tha exactly is my Problem. I purchased a 2010 european Samsung which comes with Samsung Apps instead of Yahoo WDK. I hence tried to contact Samsung and get access to the Samsung Apps SDK . But richt now no reply from Samsung Germany.

Since i would prefer to develop using the WDK can you please give some indication if there are chances that Yahoo widgets will come to a 2010 European Samsung TV. And if so in which time frame.
  • QUOTE (gerd_kamp @ Jul 22 2010, 08:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Since i would prefer to develop using the WDK can you please give some indication if there are chances that Yahoo widgets will come to a 2010 European Samsung TV. And if so in which time frame.

Yes, Yahoo! widgets will be on 2010 European Samsung TVs (via firmware update), but unfortunately we don't have a timeline to communicate yet.

-Jeremy
  • QUOTE (Jeremy Johnstone @ Jul 22 2010, 10:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Yes, Yahoo! widgets will be on 2010 European Samsung TVs (via firmware update), but unfortunately we don't have a timeline to communicate yet.

-Jeremy

Gerd, I was told by the director for Connected TVs in Europe that Yahoo! widgets would be available on Samsung sets (at least in Ireland) by the end of June...still waiting. ;) Has anyone else received a more accurate update?
  • QUOTE (composer @ Jul 23 2010, 01:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Gerd, I was told by the director for Connected TVs in Europe that Yahoo! widgets would be available on Samsung sets (at least in Ireland) by the end of June...still waiting. ;)Thanks
  • I talked to Samsung support in Norway just now, and they told me their 2010 models no longer would support Yahoo Widgets, but only Samsung Apps.
    Also that all the Samsung tv's had the same performance in processing Apps.

Is the customer service in Samsung Norway wrong about this?

QUOTE (Antony Tsioukas @ Jul 23 2010, 12:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    At 21 and 22 of July the UK site of Samsung releases new firmware for all 2010 models.

http://www.samsung.com/uk/

The models that have new firmware are (maybe there are more models that have updated but I check for that only)

22/07/2010 LED : UE##C8000 ,UE##C7000
    21/07/2010 LCD : LE##C750 , LE##C650
    22/07/2010 PLASMA : PS##C7000, PS##C6500

Can anyone check if they add support for Yahoo Widgets on this release of firmware for European TV's.

Thanks
  • QUOTE (pmlovold@... @ Jul 26 2010, 01:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    I talked to Samsung support in Norway just now, and they told me their 2010 models no longer would support Yahoo Widgets, but only Samsung Apps.
    Also that all the Samsung tv's had the same performance in processing Apps.

Is the customer service in Samsung Norway wrong about this?

While we are waiting for Yahoo widgets to appear on our TVs, has anybody a pointer to a samsung Apps SDK? I've looked around the net and contacted Samsung Germany, but until now to no avail.
  • We appreciate the questions and concerns regarding Yahoo! TV Widgets support on European TVs. The Yahoo! Connected TV team is very excited about the expansion of TV Widgets to 2010 Samsung TVs. We are working to get this released as soon as possible to our developers and consumers but because we want the best experience this release has been slightly delayed. We encourage you to continue developing Yahoo Widgets for Samsung devices to ensure your widget is ready for this release. We recently announced the expansion of Yahoo TV Widgets on Sony BRAVIA TVs to over 100 countries. Check out the press releases at: http://yhoo.client.shareholder.com/press/r...eleaseID=479784 We will soon also make some official announcements above availability on Samsung TVs.

Antony, the firmware update to the models you mentioned does not apply to the Yahoo Widget Engine. This firmware released is to enhance other features within the TV.

Thanks,
    -Austin
  • QUOTE (Austin Teames @ Jul 29 2010, 10:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    We appreciate the questions and concerns regarding Yahoo! TV Widgets support on European TVs. The Yahoo! Connected TV team is very excited about the expansion of TV Widgets to 2010 Samsung TVs. We are working to get this released as soon as possible to our developers and consumers but because we want the best experience this release has been slightly delayed. We encourage you to continue developing Yahoo Widgets for Samsung devices to ensure your widget is ready for this release. We recently announced the expansion of Yahoo TV Widgets on Sony BRAVIA TVs to over 100 countries. Check out the press releases at: http://yhoo.client.shareholder.com/press/r...eleaseID=479784 We will soon also make some official announcements above availability on Samsung TVs.

Antony, the firmware update to the models you mentioned does not apply to the Yahoo Widget Engine. This firmware released is to enhance other features within the TV.

Thanks,
    -Austin

Don't suppose that the firmware release today fixes yahoo widget support? The accompanying notes don't mention it, but anything is possible I suppose.

. Title
    2010 Model Firmware for self-upgrade
    2. Applicable Model
    LE**C6, 7, 8 Series
    3. Carrier or Corporate Customer
    Open Market
    4. Description
    T-VALDEUC-2002.0
    . OSD wrapping of specific languages issue on wireless pop-up window
    . To remove the message of ''USB Overload''
    . [MHEG] memory leak at iFrame channel (only UK)
    . Latvian / Lithuanian OSD error when insert wireless dongle.
  • New again?... we see a lot of new firmware’s for CXXX series of Samsung. As I see it the last 2 months they release 4 firmware’s... at 21/7 , 26/7, 2/9 and 16/9.

What they thinking in Samsung, I don't know if the TV have a lot of bugs in firmware... but as you mentioned... that they must to add finally Yahoo TV Widgets on Europe...

Please, is there anyone that can check on that, I mean to look the next weeks every new release if they add it? I don't want to buy new TV without it, and LG and Sony models aren’t good enough for me... I am trapped :(
  • QUOTE (Antony Tsioukas @ Sep 16 2010, 12:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    New again?... we see a lot of new firmware’s for CXXX series of Samsung. As I see it the last 2 months they release 4 firmware’s... at 21/7 , 26/7, 2/9 and 16/9.

What they thinking in Samsung, I don't know if the TV have a lot of bugs in firmware... but as you mentioned... that they must to add finally Yahoo TV Widgets on Europe...

Please, is there anyone that can check on that, I mean to look the next weeks every new release if they add it? I don't want to buy new TV without it, and LG and Sony models aren’t good enough for me... I am trapped :(Does anyone know of a currently in production, European model TV that I can go out and buy today that will allow me to test my yahoo connected tv widgets?
  • You can currently get the Yahoo! Connected TV Widget engine running on Sony TVs in Europe. We have also recently announced a few new TV manufacturers being distributed in Europe. We will be shipping on Vestel, and Hisense TVs in Europe. This will expand distribution for developers and publishers in Europe and allow developers more options for testing on TVs.

You can check out more info regarding Vestel and Sony on our blog at:

Vestel: http://www.yctvblog.com/blog/2010/09/07/ya...v-across-europe

Sony: http://www.yctvblog.com/blog/2010/06/16/ya...-100-countries/

Distribution info: http://www.yctvblog.com/blog/2010/08/10/sh...-125-in-2010-2/

Hope this helps :)-Austin
  • QUOTE (Austin Teames @ Sep 27 2010, 10:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    We have also recently announced a few new TV manufacturers being distributed in Europe.

Yes, but you announced the impending availability of Yahoo widgets on Samsungs sets months ago.  Your skirting around the Samsung issue leads us to believe that widgets will not be available on them for the foreseeable future. For those of us that did trust Yahoo!'s previous statements about Samsung, are we going to be left high and dry with the sets we've purchased? Why can't we get any firm answers?
  • QUOTE (composer @ Sep 29 2010, 01:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Yes, but you announced the impending availability of Yahoo widgets on Samsungs sets months ago.  Your skirting around the Samsung issue leads us to believe that widgets will not be available on them for the foreseeable future. For those of us that did trust Yahoo!'s previous statements about Samsung, are we going to be left high and dry with the sets we've purchased? Why can't we get any firm answers?

I agree with “composer”… what happens with Samsung in Europe… (US Models have yahoo widgets and I don’t believe that is only “firmware update” problem)

Why don’t say the truth, what happens really…

1. Samsung want to put Widgets on EU TV’s but there is a technical problem.
    2. Samsung want to put Widgets in EU TV’s but there no time to upgrade the firmware (just to notice that Samsung upgrade the firmware 4 times in the last 2 months)
    3. Samsung doesn’t want to put Widgets in EU TV’s as new policy of company, but Yahoo push it and it “hopes” finally from Samsung to add it.
    4. Samsung doesn’t want to put widgets anymore in there TV’s (and 2011- TV’s) because they have Samsung Apps platform, but the contract with Yahoo says to add it for some years and Yahoo and Samsung are in dispute with lawyers…
    5. You can’t say as the true reason public because this will destroy all your try’s to add in EU Widgets.
    6. Any other “conspiracy” reason…

You left us in the dark about it, you give hope to Samsung EU TV’s users about Yahoo widgets but we don’t see light. In some months Samsung launches new models in EU market and he stop to upgrade (as usual he did) the older firmware’s, and even worse he stop to support Yahoo Widgets in new models and that means that Yahoo Developers loses one “strong” player in their widgets.

What we have to expect… what is the possibility finally Samsung to add Widgets in their EU TV’s, 10% 20% … 80%... etc.
  • OK, they broke all the records… another firmware for Samsung C650 series… I just notice that they released on 5 October (the last was on 16 September).

I don’t know what happen in Samsung but this is the first time I see too much firmware updates in short time for any TV.

Can anyone check for Yahoo Widgets on that TV’s in European Models?
  • These are updates to the Samsung Apps platform and not the Y! Platform. (we would believe)
  • Hello all,

I bought a SAMSUNG PS50B679 here in Austria and the
    Yahoo Widget Engine worked well and I created a "Hello World" widget just for fun.
    Yesterday as I started the so called Internet@TV Application there was a upgrade of the Application and the
    Yahoo Widget Engine is no more present!
    The version is now 1.06 and the Bowser version is 5.0.00131:00179-28:176-0013
    The funny thing is that I have now neither the Yahoo Widgets nor the SAMSUNG Apps:-(
    Has anyone an idea how I can go back to the Version which I had before?
    I asked SAMSUNG Support but there is no Answer!
    regards
    Manfred
  • Looks like their may be some movement here:
    http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Yahoo-and-Sa...3057788605.html
  • QUOTE (WidgetRealm @ Nov 2 2010, 07:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Looks like their may be some movement here:
    http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Yahoo-and-Sa...3057788605.html

That’s good news, but they don’t clarify if this extended partnership is for 2010 models or 2011 and all new models.

But I think that we are close to next generation models for 2011 now, I don’t know if is good someone to buy 2010 model now.

P.S. Samsung continue to upgrade the firmware every 15-20days… I don’t see that in another model that lol…
  • This update is available now for 2010 TVs in Europe. Samsung’s 2010 European LED, LCD and Plasma HDTVs available with Internet@TV will now feature a new full-screen Yahoo! Connected TV experience.

I posted links to manually update your TV now on our blog: http://www.yctvblog.com/blog/2010/11/02/ya...d-availability/

Or you can wait for an Over The Network update rolling out starting Nov. 8th.
  • QUOTE (Austin Teames @ Nov 2 2010, 02:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    This update is available now for 2010 TVs in Europe. Samsung’s 2010 European LED, LCD and Plasma HDTVs available with Internet@TV will now feature a new full-screen Yahoo! Connected TV experience.

I posted links to manually update your TV now on our blog: http://www.yctvblog.com/blog/2010/11/02/ya...d-availability/

Or you can wait for an Over The Network update rolling out starting Nov. 8th.

Hi, how about the LG devices in Europe. I called to Finland LG technical support and requested about the Yahoo! Widgets in NetCast. Person over there replied, that those are not yet supported. Are Sony and Samsung currently only vendors in Europe supporting widgets?

Recent Posts

in General - Yahoo! TV Widgets