URL.fetch() Timeout

Hi There,

In KONtx Framework 1.1 simulator, It seems like the URL.fetch timeout doesn't have an effect if curl cannot resolve the doman name due to a network failure (the timeout then becomes 40secs or so).

Is this the expected behavior?

Does the simulator support the "No Networking" message or is this something an OEM must provide though a hook?

Thanks,
-Raj

by
3 Replies
  • QUOTE (mungumbo @ Apr 20 2009, 03:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    In KONtx Framework 1.1 simulator, It seems like the URL.fetch timeout doesn't have an effect if curl cannot resolve the doman name due to a network failure (the timeout then becomes 40secs or so).

Is this the expected behavior?

I've not seen that and I have done a lot of work on network outage. I will check again. Are you using fetch() or fetchAsync()? That might be the difference and would help me in testing.

This definitely isn't the expected behavior, but could be a bug. With the above information I will be able to diagnose this better.

QUOTE (mungumbo @ Apr 20 2009, 03:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Does the simulator support the "No Networking" message or is this something an OEM must provide though a hook?

The simulator doesn't expose the network cable disconnected event and also some partners don't either. In the event it is provided by the platform, the handling of this is completely automatic and doesn't require any interaction on your part (the relevant code is inside KONtx.application if you want to see).

-Jeremy
  • QUOTE (Jeremy Johnstone @ Apr 20 2009, 05:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    I've not seen that and I have done a lot of work on network outage. I will check again. Are you using fetch() or fetchAsync()? That might be the difference and would help me in testing.

This definitely isn't the expected behavior, but could be a bug. With the above information I will be able to diagnose this better.

The simulator doesn't expose the network cable disconnected event and also some partners don't either. In the event it is provided by the platform, the handling of this is completely automatic and doesn't require any interaction on your part (the relevant code is inside KONtx.application if you want to see).

-Jeremy

I'm using fetch()

Ok. Network disconnected, is somewhat of a different scenario, then connected but dead IP, for example the cable is still connected to the TV but unplugged at the wall :)-Raj
  • QUOTE (mungumbo @ Apr 21 2009, 08:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    I'm using fetch()

We would advice you to switch to fetchAsync(). Causing your widget to block all activity while waiting for the results of the HTTP request will cause major performance issues for your widget. Remember, any time you are fetching in the background using fetch() (since it's synchronous) blocks any other widget activity including repainting the screen or processing user input from the remote.

QUOTE (mungumbo @ Apr 21 2009, 08:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Ok. Network disconnected, is somewhat of a different scenario, then connected but dead IP, for example the cable is still connected to the TV but unplugged at the wall :)-Jeremy

Recent Posts

in General - Yahoo! TV Widgets