Show video as background (only in simulator)

Hi!, I have finished a widget, and I'll show it to my client running in the simulator (Konfabulator, in Ubuntu).
The simulator has a default image as background (a beach with mountains). My question is: can I change that default image and show a video instead of that image.
My goal is that the client feels like he is watching a real TV as background of the widget.

Thanks!
Raúl.

by
5 Replies
  • QUOTE (raul @ Mar 18 2011, 01:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Hi!, I have finished a widget, and I'll show it to my client running in the simulator (Konfabulator, in Ubuntu).
    The simulator has a default image as background (a beach with mountains). My question is: can I change that default image and show a video instead of that image.
    My goal is that the client feels like he is watching a real TV as background of the widget.

Thanks!
    Raúl.

No. You wouldn't be able to play a video when you start the simulator and have it playing after it's loaded and the dock appears.

However, certain OEMs allow for dock overlay state, which means that media (either audio or video) can remain playing when the view that played it is unselected and the dock re-appears over the video. So, you COULD launch the Vizio simulator, start a widget that plays video and then press the Home key on the keyboard to go back to the dock. At this point, bring in your client.
  • Hi,

I did similar way as mentioned earlier. It works. However, I'm facing with a problem that after playing my video for approximately cycle of 4 times, the simulator will crashed and exit the window. I suspect is the memory issue in the kernel level. How should I go about solving it? I'm running a video repeatedly for many times. Do I change the bitrate or any other configuration I can change? Thanks.
  • QUOTE (callyn @ Apr 14 2011, 10:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Hi,

I did similar way as mentioned earlier. It works. However, I'm facing with a problem that after playing my video for approximately cycle of 4 times, the simulator will crashed and exit the window. I suspect is the memory issue in the kernel level. How should I go about solving it? I'm running a video repeatedly for many times. Do I change the bitrate or any other configuration I can change? Thanks.

Your issue is most likely gstreamer related. As always, see how your widget performs on a tv, as the simulator is only meant for testing.

Incidentally, you can see how much memory each widget is consuming by doing a /mem in the console.
  • Hmmm.. How about changing the background screen in the Simulator? Sometimes the image of the mountain and blue sea appear but sometimes it will turn to black screen? How can I permanently have a picture appearing in the Simulator? Sometimes even when I launched the widget, the screen of the image change to black screen too. How can I solve this?
  • QUOTE (callyn @ Apr 17 2011, 04:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Hmmm.. How about changing the background screen in the Simulator? Sometimes the image of the mountain and blue sea appear but sometimes it will turn to black screen? How can I permanently have a picture appearing in the Simulator? Sometimes even when I launched the widget, the screen of the image change to black screen too. How can I solve this?

Please create a new topic when your question is off-topic.

You can change the background of the wdk in config.xml. Change the value of the following value node and reload the simulator.
    CODE
    <group name="framebuffer">
    <value key="background">/usr/local/share/WDK/pixmap/WDK_1920x1080.jpg</value>

Recent Posts

in General - Yahoo! TV Widgets