Play only a certain part of a Video

I want to play only a certain part of a video, e.g. beginning from frame 2000 to frame 12000 of the video. But i didn't found a way to seek into the video or a way to set in / out points. Is this not possible?

by
18 Replies
  • Not currently possible.
  • QUOTE (putpat@... @ Jul 13 2009, 04:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    I want to play only a certain part of a video, e.g. beginning from frame 2000 to frame 12000 of the video. But i didn't found a way to seek into the video or a way to set in / out points. Is this not possible?

This isn't possible in the WDK, but is possible in the TVs. Are you running WDK 0.9.6-19? If not, send an email to tvwidgets@yahoo-inc.com requesting it and we will send it out (documentation discusses how to do the initial start time, for the stopping at a certain point you would need to listen to the time index changes off KONtx.videoplayer and then stop the video when that time index hits).

-Jeremy
  • QUOTE (Jeremy Johnstone @ Jul 21 2009, 12:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    This isn't possible in the WDK, but is possible in the TVs. Are you running WDK 0.9.6-19? If not, send an email to tvwidgets@yahoo-inc.com requesting it and we will send it out (documentation discusses how to do the initial start time, for the stopping at a certain point you would need to listen to the time index changes off KONtx.videoplayer and then stop the video when that time index hits).

-Jeremy

I am using 0.9.6-19 . How do I set the initial start time? Didn't found that in the documentation :(The onTimeIndexChanged only fires every Second. Sadly that's not as acurate as I need it to be. So I can't stop at a certain Frame of the Video.
  • QUOTE (putpat@... @ Jul 21 2009, 10:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    I am using 0.9.6-19 . How do I set the initial start time? Didn't found that in the documentation :(-Jeremy
  • QUOTE (Jeremy Johnstone @ Jul 22 2009, 10:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    What exactly are you trying to accomplish here and maybe I can give better suggestions as there are multiple approaches to just about anything.

I know in my case I will eventually want to be able to fabricate a playlist that consists of one main movie or TV show with commercials inserted at provider-defined points. The ability to represent an SMIL playlist like

CODE
    <seq>
    <video src="spongebob12.3gp" clipEnd="smpte-30-drop=0:6:03">
    <video src="commercial1.3gp">
    <video src="commercial2.3gp">
    <video src="commercial3.3gp">
    <video src="spongebob12.3gp" clipBegin="smpte-30-drop=0:6:03">
    </seq>

within the TV player framework would be really nice. I'm not asking for SMIL support, just using its syntax to present the example.

While supporting frame-accurate video cuts would not be trivial (especially with H.264's theoretical 10-second horizon), it would also not be a Shuttle launch, and would set a good example for the rest of the industry which is currently populated by slackers.
  • Support for something like this is doable, but again, not frame accurate but within a second or two tops is definitely doable.

-Jeremy
  • Okay, I now tried to use startIndex, but it is not recognized on our samsung tv. The tv plays the video from the beginning, not from second 45 :(Do I need a new firmware on the samsung?
  • Btw: I am trying to stream music videos. And some of them have technical stuff at the start/end I don't want to show to the user. Trimming > 20.000 Videos only for the yahoo widget engine is _not_ an option :).
  • QUOTE (putpat@... @ Jul 29 2009, 11:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Btw: I am trying to stream music videos. And some of them have technical stuff at the start/end I don't want to show to the user. Trimming > 20.000 Videos only for the yahoo widget engine is _not_ an option :)-Jeremy
  • QUOTE (putpat@... @ Jul 29 2009, 11:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Okay, I now tried to use startIndex, but it is not recognized on our samsung tv. The tv plays the video from the beginning, not from second 45 :(-Jeremy
  • QUOTE (Jeremy Johnstone @ Jul 30 2009, 05:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Yes! It will be out beginning of next quarter for all current production TVs.

-Jeremy

Do you know does they fix this alredy?

And can you leave me few words how this staff works. As i understand I need some special server side for implement that?
  • Assuming you updated the firmware of your TV (aka, not running a European model TV), then yes, it's released. If you haven't updated and/or are using European Samsung TVs, then no, the problem isn't fixed.
  • QUOTE (Jeremy Johnstone @ Feb 11 2010, 08:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Assuming you updated the firmware of your TV (aka, not running a European model TV), then yes, it's released. If you haven't updated and/or are using European Samsung TVs, then no, the problem isn't fixed.

Any news about European 2009 Samsung models? Could i use KONtx.media.PlaylistEntry.startIndex for now?
  • QUOTE (vova.leskiv @ Aug 31 2010, 06:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Any news about European 2009 Samsung models? Could i use KONtx.media.PlaylistEntry.startIndex for now?

If NO may be try to use seek() on start for that?
  • You will also need to make sure that the video is being served from a location that support a seek indexing - otherwise, the entire file (or the portion needed) will need to be loaded for the seek() command to work.
  • QUOTE (WidgetRealm @ Aug 31 2010, 08:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    You will also need to make sure that the video is being served from a location that support a seek indexing - otherwise, the entire file (or the portion needed) will need to be loaded for the seek() command to work.

seek() work great in my case.
    The problem only with startIndex -- video doesnt want to play from passed offset and start playing from begining.

Thanks!
  • QUOTE (vova.leskiv @ Aug 31 2010, 06:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, the 2009 EU Samsung TVs have been updated and now support the new mediaplayer apis.
  • QUOTE (Roger @ Aug 31 2010, 05:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Yes, the 2009 EU Samsung TVs have been updated and now support the new mediaplayer apis.

How i can check my TV is updated properly?

Thanks!

Recent Posts

in General - Yahoo! TV Widgets