How to check memory utilisation?

Hi,
I want to implement the acceptance criteria mentioned in the Acceptance Criteria Doc by Yahoo. I have the following queries:

1. How to check the memory utilization of my Widget?
2. How to give two unique identifiers to the same widget (540 and 1080 resolutions, separate identifiers)?
3. I am using KONTX controls only, do I need to handle the TV API Errors?
4. Is Screen saver support needs to be given by all Widgets?

Please help me in my understanding these standards, so that I can implement them (if some of them are not met by my widget).

Thanks,
Ashish Jain

by
8 Replies
  • 1. Memory Utilization: The next version of the WDK should include a way for you to view memory utilization and compare it to other widgets that are running using /rc command. Please look for an email with the new WDK some time this week.
    2. Widget IDs: You should keep the identifiers the same and add a .1080 to the version number for the 1080 version. For example, the 540 version could be 1.0.0 and the 1080 version is 1.0.0.1080. We will add the necessary filters on our end to make sure the appropriate widget is displayed in the right gallery.
    3. Yes. Please make sure that you respond to all TV API's not being used with a null result.
    4. The only time you need to address the screen saver call is in full screen state. If you do not have a full screen state in your widget, you do not have to worry about supporting this call.
  • QUOTE (Roger U @ Sep 22 2009, 06:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    1. Memory Utilization: The next version of the WDK should include a way for you to view memory utilization and compare it to other widgets that are running using /rc command. Please look for an email with the new WDK some time this week.
    2. Widget IDs: You should keep the identifiers the same and add a .1080 to the version number for the 1080 version. For example, the 540 version could be 1.0.0 and the 1080 version is 1.0.0.1080. We will add the necessary filters on our end to make sure the appropriate widget is displayed in the right gallery.
    3. Yes. Please make sure that you respond to all TV API's not being used with a null result.
    4. The only time you need to address the screen saver call is in full screen state. If you do not have a full screen state in your widget, you do not have to worry about supporting this call.

In our build, I currently append .540 to the 960x540 widget and 1080 to the 1920x1080 widget id. Will it be acceptable to append .540, or will I have to drop it all together?
  • We recommend updating the version number, not the widget ID, as it will be much easier to manage on your end and on ours. For example, when your widget is displayed in the gallery, the widget ID is not displayed, but the version number is.
  • QUOTE (Roger U @ Sep 23 2009, 05:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    We recommend updating the version number, not the widget ID, as it will be much easier to manage on your end and on ours. For example, when your widget is displayed in the gallery, the widget ID is not displayed, but the version number is.

Hi Roger,
    I submitted the widget to Yahoo and the bug list gives me the report that on LG TV it is crashing and engine reset is to be done when the widget is downloaded. I am not sure why this is happening as the emulator at my end is making this widget function in 1-2 seconds and no hang is happening at my end.

Is there any way I can check the memory utilization of Widget and can correlate it with the memory LG TV is able to provide to my widget (which it might not be) causing this issue.

Then I will look into the optimizations at my end (as I am fetching hundreds of JSON objects at one go and processing them in my widget).

Thanks for the help.

Ashish Jain
  • QUOTE (ashish @ Nov 4 2009, 02:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Hi Roger,
    I submitted the widget to Yahoo and the bug list gives me the report that on LG TV it is crashing and engine reset is to be done when the widget is downloaded. I am not sure why this is happening as the emulator at my end is making this widget function in 1-2 seconds and no hang is happening at my end.

Is there any way I can check the memory utilization of Widget and can correlate it with the memory LG TV is able to provide to my widget (which it might not be) causing this issue.

Then I will look into the optimizations at my end (as I am fetching hundreds of JSON objects at one go and processing them in my widget).

Thanks for the help.

Ashish Jain

Any updates on this?

Thanks,
    Ashish Jain
  • For issues like this, one on one communication is needed. Please email tvwidgets@yahoo-inc.com again to start the communication. I'll make sure Ian looks out for your email.

-Jeremy
  • QUOTE (Jeremy Johnstone @ Dec 2 2009, 03:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    For issues like this, one on one communication is needed. Please email tvwidgets@yahoo-inc.com again to start the communication. I'll make sure Ian looks out for your email.

-Jeremy

Hi Jeremy,
    Is there any memory consumption check tool available for Widget Engine now?
    Please help as the Widget is crashing on TV (but working fine in Simulator) and am not able to lookout for memory consumption.

Thanks,
    Ashish Jain
  • In the WDK, use /mem

Recent Posts

in General - Yahoo! TV Widgets