Gallery Shot Error

Anyone had this happen to them when creating gallery shots? This is a new one to us...

Terminal Output
CODE
In order to take a screenshot the Simulator is launched.
Once the Simulator is running, come back to this window for more instructions.

Please select the resolution for the screenshot.
Please enter "1" for 540 or "2" for 1080: 1
spawn telnet 127.0.0.1 8008
Trying 127.0.0.1...
telnet: Unable to connect to remote host: Connection refused

***** ERROR ***** An error occurred that forces an exit. Please try again.
Press Enter to close this window.

Side note: I think we need a separate subforum just for issues that relate to the simulator.

by
16 Replies
  • Never seen that myself, but I have run into other issues before with taking gallery shots. One widget we have never gets past the initial loading state for the snippet.

Does the simulator start up after you select 1?

If you open a 540 simulator yourself, can you "telnet localhost 8008"?
  • The Simulator does start and that is where the error shows up. I think it might be a configuration problem with Ubuntu. I am looking into the open ports, etc.
  • Ok.... So I opened port 8008 in Ubuntu, after needing to install telnet to begin with.

CODE
    //install telnet
    $sudo apt-get install telnet
    //open all ports for telnet traffic on localhost
    $sudo iptables -A INPUT -p tcp --dport ssh -j ACCEPT
    //Confirm new iptables and ports open
    $sudo iptables -L

I am still getting the error from the "Gallery Shot" terminal, but I am able to connect via the terminal using:

CODE
    telnet 127.0.0.1 8008

Terminal Result from Connection
    CODE
    Trying 127.0.0.1...
    Connected to 127.0.0.1.
    Escape character is '^]'.
    Welcome to Konfabulator 5.4.2 (build wdk-base-stream-981-5253) [ENGINEERING BUILD WITHOUT DEBUG SYMBOLS (SpiderMonkey)] (2097::2117)
  • QUOTE (WidgetRealm @ Mar 3 2010, 09:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Ok.... So I opened port 8008 in Ubuntu, after needing to install telnet to begin with.

CODE
    //install telnet
    $sudo apt-get install telnet
    //open all ports for telnet traffic on localhost
    $sudo iptables -A INPUT -p tcp --dport ssh -j ACCEPT
    //Confirm new iptables and ports open
    $sudo iptables -L

I am still getting the error from the "Gallery Shot" terminal, but I am able to connect via the terminal using:

CODE
    telnet 127.0.0.1 8008

Terminal Result from Connection
    CODE
    Trying 127.0.0.1...
    Connected to 127.0.0.1.
    Escape character is '^]'.
    Welcome to Konfabulator 5.4.2 (build wdk-base-stream-981-5253) [ENGINEERING BUILD WITHOUT DEBUG SYMBOLS (SpiderMonkey)] (2097::2117)

That's really strange. You would think they would both fail, or both succeed.
  • Nothing... Three hours of trying to get it to work and nothing. We have screwed with the firewall and iptables - connected view the terminal and still cannot get past the error. :w -
  • QUOTE (Steve @ Mar 3 2010, 10:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    That's really strange. You would think they would both fail, or both succeed.

I had this same problem. The problem is a bug in the take-shot script. It attempts to wait for the Konfabulator GUI to initialize with this command:

netstat -aln | grep 8008

when it sees '8008' it assumes the port is open. The problem is, there is a lot of other crap in the output from netstat -aln that can match 8008.

I was able to get around it by editing the script and changing the line to

netstat -aln | grep -v '^unix' | grep 8008
  • Hi WidgetRealm,
    I've never created gallery shots (yet), but I will look into this and get back to you.

- Ben
  • Hi Brian,

Did kraney2's solution work for you?

QUOTE (WidgetRealm @ Mar 3 2010, 09:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Ok.... So I opened port 8008 in Ubuntu, after needing to install telnet to begin with.

If not, here is a thought. If you needed to install telnet, you might not have the expect binary, which is needed by the gallery shots shell scripts. It should be located at /usr/bin/expect. If you don't have that, get it and try again. If you're still experiencing issues, you can send us an email offline, and we can continue the discussion.

kraney2: thanks for your fix, we're taking a look at that.

Incidentally, I talked with the person who wrote the shell scripts, and he didn't put a dependency on either telnet or expect because they are standard in Ubuntu distros.

I hope this helps.

- Ben
  • QUOTE (Benjamin Toll @ Mar 4 2010, 12:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Hi Brian,

If not, here is a thought. If you needed to install telnet, you might not have the expect binary, which is needed by the gallery shots shell scripts. It should be located at /usr/bin/expect. If you don't have that, get it and try again. If you're still experiencing issues, you can send us an email offline, and we can continue the discussion.

kraney2: thanks for your fix, we're taking a look at that.

Incidentally, I talked with the person who wrote the shell scripts, and he didn't put a dependency on either telnet or expect because they are standard in Ubuntu distros.

I hope this helps.

- Ben

It looks like he has expect installed because the error he got said:

CODE
    spawn telnet 127.0.0.1 8008
    Trying 127.0.0.1...

Although, what is strange is that this comment was posted before he said he installed telnet.
  • I know I am bit late here, but I thought I would follow up on this.

QUOTE (Benjamin Toll @ Mar 4 2010, 12:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Worked like a charm.

Everyone else: The path to this file is "/usr/local/bin/screenshots/scripts/take-shot" page down and you will see the following code:
    CODE
    while ( test "$waitforkonfab" = "1" ) do
    sleep 1
    if [ "`netstat -aln | grep 8008`" = "" ]; then
    waitforkonfab=1
    else
    waitforkonfab=0
    fi
    done

Change it to read:
    CODE
    while ( test "$waitforkonfab" = "1" ) do
    sleep 1
    if [ "`netstat -aln | grep -v '^unix' | grep 8008`" = "" ]; then
    waitforkonfab=1
    else
    waitforkonfab=0
    fi
    done

QUOTE (Benjamin Toll @ Mar 4 2010, 12:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I had the binary.
  • Interesting. Thanks for the update.

You should be able to just use netstat -tln which will limit the output of netstat to just TCP connections and not include Unix domain sockets. The additional grep statement is just filtering out domain sockets, which the -t switch will do as well.
  • Thanks to everyone for posting solutions and insights to this. I'm going to forward this to the engineer who wrote the shell scripts.

- Ben
  • This will be fixed in the next version of the WDK.
  • Hi all,

having the same problem with connection refused (but haven't tried steps described above yet).
    Anyway - what are the rules for these widget gallery screens? Can they be created manually?
  • Hmm...
    Telnet still doesn't work after steps done above, but without file modification.
    I use Ubuntu 9.10 running thru VMware Player (image from chrysaor.info)

user@ubuntu910desktop:~$ sudo apt-get install telnet
    [sudo] password for user:
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    telnet is already the newest version.
    0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 143 not upgraded.
    user@ubuntu910desktop:~$ sudo iptables -A INPUT -p tcp --dport ssh -j ACCEPT
    user@ubuntu910desktop:~$ sudo iptables -L
    Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT)
    target prot opt source destination
    ACCEPT tcp -- anywhere anywhere tcp dpt:ssh

Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT)

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)
    user@ubuntu910desktop:~$ telnet 127.0.0.1
    Trying 127.0.0.1...

What else should I try?
    Or, can I send my widget to some of you and ask to make screenshots for me please?
  • sorry... after script modification it works well ))

Recent Posts

in General - Yahoo! TV Widgets