Facebook Connect cookie

The normal Facebook Connect authentication process uses a cookie. Is there a workaround Yahoo has developed? Has Facebook already addressed this issue for TV Widgets?

by
7 Replies
  • QUOTE (davidstephenadams @ Mar 16 2009, 11:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    The normal Facebook Connect authentication process uses a cookie. Is there a workaround Yahoo has developed? Has Facebook already addressed this issue for TV Widgets?

Hi,

To the best of my knowledge every widget has their own private cookie jar and it should not need any action from you to make this work. Would you mind sending us a bit more information what exactly the issue is you encounter so we can try and reproduce this?

Thanks.

Oli

As Oli indicated, the widget has a normal cookie jar much like a browser does. Is there an error or situation you have seen where this doesn't work like you intended? More detail would be very helpful.

Thanks!

-Jeremy

I believe you are also trying to establish connection to facebook using facebook connect, I have the same error that "cookie is not enabled".

Do you have any luck to establish the connection?

thanks,
  • QUOTE (Sanny M @ May 22 2009, 01:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    I believe you are also trying to establish connection to facebook using facebook connect, I have the same error that "cookie is not enabled".

Do you have any luck to establish the connection?

Please provide a code sample of what you are doing and the errors you are seeing. It's virtually impossible to guess at what the issue is without seeing what you are calling.

-Jeremy
  • Facebook Connect will not work with the TV platform.

Our discussions have lead to the need for a custom login process much like the Facebook sanctioned interfaces needed for mobile devices, etc. Also, we have been advised that any attempts to scrap the Connect interface for information or processes will result in immediate Facebook rejection of the application. Connect and iPhone Connect cannot be used in services outside browser(s) or mobile devices.

Main Issues:
    - There are limitations in the ability to provide application approval access that must be done through the Facebook Connect interface via a browser.
    - Storing information outside Facebook is strictly prohibited.
    - A session code must be assign via Connect login or browser cookie that has directly resulted from an uninterrupted Facebook process.

Please see the Facebook Terms for more information - http://www.facebook.com/terms.php
  • QUOTE (WidgetRealm @ May 23 2009, 09:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Facebook Connect will not work with the TV platform.

Thanks for posting, I've reached the same conclusion. To support TV widgets a custom API authentication separate from the normal Connect flow will need to be implemented.

-Jeremy
  • QUOTE (Jeremy Johnstone @ May 26 2009, 12:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Thanks for posting, I've reached the same conclusion. To support TV widgets a custom API authentication separate from the normal Connect flow will need to be implemented.

-Jeremy

Thanks for the clarification.

Recent Posts

in General - Yahoo! TV Widgets