Escaping chars in widget title?

Hi,

We're getting reports that the char ' is displayed in the widget gallery as 'em. For instance, declaring the widget name as this in widget.xml:

CODE
[...]
<metadata>
<name>It's a widget</name>
[...]

will cause the widget name to be displayed as "It&#39;ems a widget". Is there any way of escaping the ' char so that it works fine everywhere? Or do you guys at Y! need to fix this issue in the Widget Gallery widget? Any suggestions to how we'd go about using the ' char in the widget title?

FYI, the ' char works fine within the widget, it is displayed properly on the About page for instance.

by
7 Replies
  • The submission backend may convert characters in incoming strings to entities before storing them. They will get sent out to the Widget double-escaped. We'll also sanity check the entity conversion in the Gallery Widget to make sure this isn't a client-side bug. If you see a specific instance of mangled strings from your Widget on display in the Gallery Widget, let us know the specific app info and we'll correct it right away.
  • I'm having this looked into. We will report back soon.

-Jeremy
  • Any news on this subject? If not, maybe you could contact me privately, keville? It's niklas.bjorken@accedobroadband.com. Thanks.
  • QUOTE (nbjorken @ May 11 2009, 10:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Any news on this subject? If not, maybe you could contact me privately, keville? It's niklas.bjorken@accedobroadband.com. Thanks.

Hello!

As Ken indicated:

If you see a specific instance of mangled strings from your Widget on display in the Gallery Widget, let us know the specific app info and we'll correct it right away.

There won't be any update on this subject until you provide us with a specific widget where this is happening so we can fix it.

-Jeremy
  • QUOTE (Jeremy Johnstone @ May 12 2009, 03:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Hello!

As Ken indicated:

There won't be any update on this subject until you provide us with a specific widget where this is happening so we can fix it.

-Jeremy

That's what I wanted to talk to Ken about ;)But might as well run it here, it's the <snipped> widget and complains come from the Samsung QA team.
  • QUOTE (nbjorken @ May 13 2009, 02:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    That's what I wanted to talk to Ken about ;)-Jeremy
  • QUOTE (Jeremy Johnstone @ May 13 2009, 09:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    I will follow up and find out. My email address is in the sticky posts at the top of the forum, feel free to use it to follow up in the future on things you don't want to talk about openly.

-Jeremy

Ah, sorry, I missed that. Thanks though!

Recent Posts

in General - Yahoo! TV Widgets