Device identifier

Hi

Is there a way to determine the device that the widget is running on?
Ideally I would like to establish the manufacturer, and then the specific device type.

Any help appreciated !

Simon

by
13 Replies
  • QUOTE (teppetts @ Oct 15 2009, 07:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Hi

Is there a way to determine the device that the widget is running on?
    Ideally I would like to establish the manufacturer, and then the specific device type.

Any help appreciated !

Simon

As previously mentioned, tv.system.* provides many constants which allow you to detect information about the device the widget is running on. I caution you strongly though on enabling per device functionality using these keys though, as different model (and even same model, but with different production dates) can each return different values for those keys, despite being the same manufacturer.

-Jeremy
  • QUOTE (Jeremy Johnstone @ Oct 15 2009, 07:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    As previously mentioned, tv.system.* provides many constants which allow you to detect information about the device the widget is running on. I caution you strongly though on enabling per device functionality using these keys though, as different model (and even same model, but with different production dates) can each return different values for those keys, despite being the same manufacturer.

-Jeremy

Jeremy
    Can we take it that the first 3 digits of the returned value will always indicate the manufacturer (i.e. SEC = Samsung Electronic Corporation) ?
    Also could you please let me know where we can get a list of the codes.

Thanks

Simon
  • QUOTE (teppetts @ Nov 2 2009, 08:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Jeremy
    Can we take it that the first 3 digits of the returned value will always indicate the manufacturer (i.e. SEC = Samsung Electronic Corporation) ?
    Also could you please let me know where we can get a list of the codes.

There is no list of codes as it's non-standard even across the same model of the same TV. Please do not depend on the actual values of the OEM field, but feel free to use it for logging / combining with other values for entropy.

-Jeremy
  • QUOTE (Jeremy Johnstone @ Nov 2 2009, 11:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    There is no list of codes as it's non-standard even across the same model of the same TV. Please do not depend on the actual values of the OEM field, but feel free to use it for logging / combining with other values for entropy.

-Jeremy

... so if I understand you correctly then we have to produce a unique application for every device and put each one of those separately through the Yahoo! QA process? If so then that seems a little crazy as It creates a lot of totally unnecessary work for both us and you guys.

The only alternative that we can think of is to compare the mac address with a list of mac addresses from each manufacturer. Is that possible?

Simon
  • QUOTE (teppetts @ Nov 3 2009, 06:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    ... so if I understand you correctly then we have to produce a unique application for every device and put each one of those separately through the Yahoo! QA process? If so then that seems a little crazy as It creates a lot of totally unnecessary work for both us and you guys.

No, not what I am saying at all. I am saying you should not care what the OEM is, they all are generally the same and only differ in very specific edge case ways.

The only alternative that we can think of is to compare the mac address with a list of mac addresses from each manufacturer. Is that possible?

You don't have access to the MAC address, so that's not possible. I think we have gone down the wrong path here, can you maybe tell me the goal you are trying to accomplish so I can better assist you?
  • QUOTE (Jeremy Johnstone @ Nov 3 2009, 10:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    maybe tell me the goal you are trying to accomplish so I can better assist you?

Sorry - let me explain. The nature of our service will involve an affiliate relationship (and hence commission) with the manufacturer. In order to track usage (and then determine commission) we will need to ensure that we know which manufacturer made the device. We anticipate affiliate relationships with a number of different manufacturers.

It is worth mentioning that should your distribution model extend to services delivered by an operator via devices supplied by various different manufacturers then we would also need to be able to identify the operator. i.e. if a cable company like Comcast was to engineer your technology into its STBs (these would be provided by a variety of different manufacturers like Cisco, Motorola etc) then we would need to be able to identify these as Comcast boxes - rather than Cisco or Motorola since our commercial relationship would be with the service operator rather than the manufacturer.
  • Check out the tv.system properties (tv.system.oem etc)
  • QUOTE (Mike @ Oct 15 2009, 09:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Check out the tv.system properties (tv.system.oem etc)

Hi,
    Mike is right.
    (For more info...)

I sent an email to Yahoos on June 30 and they replied like this:
    ===========>>
    To find out the OEM running on the device, please use tv.system.OEM. This shouldn't be called to often.
    Why do you need to make this call? The gallery backend can filter widgets availability to specific OEM brands, but if you want to integrate specific functionality to specific OEMs, then this would be a good way to check.

-Roger

----------------------------------------------------
    Roger Urrabazo
    Yahoo! TV Widgets Team
    http://connectedtv.yahoo.com
    <<===================
  • Will check it out - Thanks
  • Any feedback please?
  • Can I please get a response on this ASAP
    It is affecting our delivery

Cheers
  • Why not just ask them to select their manufacturer when it is first started?

Then save it and move on.
  • QUOTE (WidgetRealm @ Nov 16 2009, 01:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Why not just ask them to select their manufacturer when it is first started?

Then save it and move on.

If you are doing a deal with the manufacturers, then that must mean you are storing the values on a server somewhere, right? So you should then use tv.system.oem and then normalize the values you see when doing your reporting. This isn't rocket science.

-Jeremy

Recent Posts

in General - Yahoo! TV Widgets