Connecting USB devices to Smart TV

Is it possible to connect a HID USB device (such as a HID keyboard or Mouse) to smart TV? I just picked up a Vizio Smart TV (that has a USB port on the side) and would like to see if I could connect a USB device and then communicate to it via an app.

If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know.

Thanks.

by
5 Replies
  • Thank you for your Josh.

• For my question?

Does anyone have any comments on connecting to a HID USB device? I asked the question to Yahoo support (yctvsupport@yahoo-inc.com) about a week ago and I have not heard anything back. Does anyone know of a better source for asking question to Yahoo?

I would think if Yahoo would want to make the USB ports available so that users would do more with their TV via a mouse or keyboard.

Thoughts?

Thanks.

• NO!- I just bought two Vizio TVs at Costco today. They're both going back. Both are "Smart", neither supports USB HID devices of any kind, neither has a web browser. I can't believe how stupid that is (I looked for a long time all over the place then called Costco's concierge service in disbelief)! I have two $35.00 Raspberry Pi(s). They can handle USB keyboard and mouse. As far as I can tell only LG (which I've have used) and Samsung Smart TV's can handle those things, and have browsers.

• I responded to this question via the email you sent to yctvsupprt@ however, I would like to post here as well:

Connection of devices to the TV is handled by the manufacturer. Y! Connected TV is a application platform that runs on the manufacturer hardware however, we do not have control over all TV functions. You may contact VIZIO help or check the manual that came with your TV for additional details about attaching peripheral devices.

VIZIO Support: http://store.vizio.com/support VIZIO Support on Twitter: https://twitter.com/VIZIOsupport

• I plugged a USB port into my Samsung Smart TV and now can't take it out. Any advice?

Recent Posts

in General - Yahoo! TV Widgets