what happened to yahoo messenger plugin SDK?

i today got an idea for messenger plugin, but messenger plugin sdk page is no longer available.

by
22 Replies
  • A number of our API / service resource pages within YDN have been removed so that we may pool our resources behind several core technologies that fit with our current company business model and technology goals. Many of these services were provided as-is and did not have resources devoted to enhancing or supporting these products. We felt that in order to provide a better experience for users and developers, organizing our resources to provide the best experience for our core products is the path that we wished to take. You can probably find the original pages for messenger in Yahoo! search cached pages if you wish to find this documentation.

Jonathan LeBlanc
    Senior Software Engineer
    Yahoo! Developer Network
    Twitter: jcleblanc

QUOTE (kanks @ Jul 3 2009, 07:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    i today got an idea for messenger plugin, but messenger plugin sdk page is no longer available.
  • QUOTE (Jon @ Jul 6 2009, 09:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    A number of our API / service resource pages within YDN have been removed so that we may pool our resources behind several core technologies that fit with our current company business model and technology goals. Many of these services were provided as-is and did not have resources devoted to enhancing or supporting these products. We felt that in order to provide a better experience for users and developers, organizing our resources to provide the best experience for our core products is the path that we wished to take. You can probably find the original pages for messenger in Yahoo! search cached pages if you wish to find this documentation.

Jonathan LeBlanc
    Senior Software Engineer
    Yahoo! Developer Network
    Twitter: jcleblanc

Hi Jonathan,

Could you please tell us when the site is back? just give us an estimated time.

Thank you,
  • We're planning to develop a plug-in for Yahoo! Messenger.

Are you saying that Yahoo Messenger Plug-in SDK itself will be no longer provided?

Or are you just saying that the Web pages related to the SDK are removed?

Your prompt response would be much appreciated.
  • A few responses here:

Tran - as mentioned in my last post, the SDK page was intentionally removed for the reasons I posted. There is not currently any plan to add them back up.

Danny - Just the pages have been removed, the SDK will still be supported as far as I know. If the SDK functionality were ever to be removed, we would give developers a much longer timeframe and notice before that would happen. In the past, Yahoo! has normally given developers at least a 6 month period before the removal of a service.

- Jon

QUOTE (Danny @ Jul 13 2009, 08:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    We're planning to develop a plug-in for Yahoo! Messenger.

Are you saying that Yahoo Messenger Plug-in SDK itself will be no longer provided?

Or are you just saying that the Web pages related to the SDK are removed?

Your prompt response would be much appreciated.
  • Where do we download the YIM SDK now? This page looks outdated http://download.cnet.com/Yahoo-Messenger-P...4-10551267.html
  • I have more information about this product that I wanted to relay. The messenger plugin SDK has been removed from our supported products. What this means is that even if something is built with a copy of the SDK it will not be able to be submitted to a gallery. The former location of the plugin submission page, http://gallery.yahoo.com/messenger has been closed and folded into the http://apps.yahoo.com/myapps page, so the development of plugins under this system have been officially marked as dead. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause you in your development.

- Jon

QUOTE (USS @ Jul 22 2009, 11:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Where do we download the YIM SDK now? This page looks outdated http://download.cnet.com/Yahoo-Messenger-P...4-10551267.html
  • QUOTE (Jon @ Jul 23 2009, 06:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    I have more information about this product that I wanted to relay. The messenger plugin SDK has been removed from our supported products. What this means is that even if something is built with a copy of the SDK it will not be able to be submitted to a gallery. The former location of the plugin submission page, http://gallery.yahoo.com/messenger has been closed and folded into the http://apps.yahoo.com/myapps page, so the development of plugins under this system have been officially marked as dead. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause you in your development.

- Jon

hi Jon,

we are a group chat service provider on IM, such as Yahoo Messenger, Window Live Messenger, Google Talk etc., now we have many users on Yahoo Messenger. In order to provide better service to our users, we need to apply for a conversation plugin. We know that Yahoo have closed the application entrance, but we need the function urgently. We think our product will attract more users for Yahoo Messenger, this is better for both of us.

So we ask for your help. We will be very appreciated If you have any good news or give us a better solution for this.
    Please do reply me or push me a message in your convenient time.

thanks,
    Grace
  • QUOTE (gracelau66 @ Feb 22 2010, 09:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    hi Jon,

we are a group chat service provider on IM, such as Yahoo Messenger, Window Live Messenger, Google Talk etc., now we have many users on Yahoo Messenger. In order to provide better service to our users, we need to apply for a conversation plugin. We know that Yahoo have closed the application entrance, but we need the function urgently. We think our product will attract more users for Yahoo Messenger, this is better for both of us.

So we ask for your help. We will be very appreciated If you have any good news or give us a better solution for this.
    Please do reply me or push me a message in your convenient time.

thanks,
    Grace

hi Jon, are you there?
    please give me a reply when you see the message
  • Since we have removed the ability to communicate with the service at YDN, we cannot send by a way of working with the API as you were able to. The messenger team may wish to make an exception to this rule for a potential partnership so if you want to reach out to them you can try their technical support communication channel at http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/messenger...er10/index.html

- Jon
  • QUOTE (Jonathan LeBlanc @ Mar 19 2010, 08:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Since we have removed the ability to communicate with the service at YDN, we cannot send by a way of working with the API as you were able to. The messenger team may wish to make an exception to this rule for a potential partnership so if you want to reach out to them you can try their technical support communication channel at http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/messenger...er10/index.html

- Jon

thanks Jon.
  • QUOTE (gracelau66 @ Mar 23 2010, 10:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    thanks Jon.

Hi Jon,

I contacted the technical support team but did not get a useful response. Would you please kindly give me a contact who i can communicate with them? I will be very appreciated that if you can give me such favor. My email address is grace@groups.im, please send the contact information to my email inbox.

thanks a lot.
    Grace
  • I will be glad to pass on your request to the team. Can you email me at rtippins at yahoo-inc.com and spell out exactly what you are wanting in the email? Thanks!

Cheers!
    Robyn Tippins
    @duzins on Twitter
    Community Manager, YDN

***Follow YDN on Twitter and Facebook***
  • hi Robyn,

thanks for your reply. I have sent an email to you, please check it and do reply me when you got it.

thanks,
    Grace
  • Grace, I've pass it along to the Messenger team.

Cheers!
    Robyn Tippins
    @duzins on Twitter
    Community Manager, YDN

• thanks!

Waiting for your earlier reply. :)Grace
  • Ummmmmm i'm having problems with my yahoo messenger. I'd press sign in and it says signing in but i sit there for like 2 hours and it say contect the something idk some people on yahoo. But i'm wondering if you guys know what's going on here?
  • Jackson,

Try pinging the team at help.yahoo.com (click on Messenger).

Cheers!
    Robyn Tippins
    @duzins on Twitter
    Community Manager, YDN

• hi Robyn,

I still did not receive any messages from Yahoo Messenger Team about our application for the conversation plug-in. Could you please kindly help me check this? or could you please give me their contact information? I will contact them directly, because we need the plugin ergently.

thanks and regards,
    Grace
  • Grace,

I've made sure your request and email address has been passed on to the Messenger team. Unfortunately I can not give out their emails. Thanks,

Robyn Tippins
    @duzins on Twitter
    Community Manager, YDN

• hi Robyn,

Thanks for your help.

Hope i will not wait for a long time, as it's really urgent for us.

Have a nice weekend.
    Grace
  • So question: If I wanted to create an app that could send IM's to my Yahoo Messenger buddies, I can no longer do that? Or is this possible via YQL?
  • hi Robyn,

I am still waiting for the reply from Messenger team. :(Grace
  • Any update??
  • did you get any replies from Yahoo Messenger team?
  • No, they'll reply directly to you if they are interested.

Thanks,
    Robyn
  • Am I to assume there is no way for the average user to write his or her own plug-in for YIM? This is something I've been interested in doing for the longest time. There have been plenty of times where I look through the plug ins and I do not find what I'm looking for and think to my self how I should make one, if only for myself and my friend. If there is no way to make our own plug ins for personal use. Is there a place to suggest future plug in ideas?

In particular I would like to see an musical type plug in. I saw one before but it wasn't what I had in mind. What I'm getting at is being able to play your own plug in instrument with a friend without having to play a pre-selected song. Just to free play with said instruments. I hope to hear a reply soon. Thanks in advanced.

Recent Posts

in General Discussion at YDN