download.finance.yahoo.com issue

I have been using download.finance.yahoo.com for several months to download Stock and Option quote information. This past week when Yahoo switched to the new option symbol logic I am no longer able to get option quotes.

Old working link would be:

I beleive new link should be:
http://download.finance.yahoo.com/d/quotes...f=snl1vd1b2b3v8
or
http://download.finance.yahoo.com/d/quotes...f=snl1vd1b2b3v8
Neither work.

by
10 Replies
  • sorry - the message did not fully display correctly.

the ... part of the new quote is YHQ100416P00020000 or YHOO100416P00020000

the old format that worked was
    http://download.finance.yahoo.com/d/quotes...f=snl1vd1b2b3v8 (not sure how that will display, but the symbol part would of been yhqdd )

Do I have incorrect formats for my new symbols? ( I tried a number of things), or is the download feature not working?
  • one final comment. Stock quotes are working fine. It is just Option quotes that began not working earlier this week.
  • Correct. For some reason starting this week Yahoo has removed the "download data" link from option quotes. This is the link that lets you download to a CSV file. The link is still there for stocks, but not for options. It's not just the link that's gone -- the functonality has gone as well.

I wish somebody from Yahoo would comment on this as there are posts all over the internet about it. Is is temporary? Has it been removed by mistake? Or is it permanent?

It would be good customer service to state clearly what's going on here.

If it's permanent we should be told so we can migrate to MSN (which DOES allow multiple option quote downloads with a single request).
  • I don't know anything about this change, but I'll see if I can't get you an answer.

Robyn Tippins
    Community Manager, YDN
  • I was able to get the information from the Finance team (below).

The OCC has changed the format for Options symbols, and due to this, we had to make significant changes to support the new symbology throughout Yahoo! Finance. At this time, based on the amount of work involved, we have chosen to remove the link to download the Options data permanently rather than expend significant resources to bring this feature in line with the new symbology format. We understand that while this does not affect a large number of our users, for those that the change affects, it’s a large inconvenience, and we are sorry for that. If anything changes, we’ll let you know.

Sorry, wish I had better news,

Robyn Tippins
    @duzins on Twitter
    Community Manager, YDN

• Thank you for getting an answer. I will go work on another solution.
  • QUOTE (Nick @ Jan 28 2010, 02:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Correct. For some reason starting this week Yahoo has removed the "download data" link from option quotes. This is the link that lets you download to a CSV file. The link is still there for stocks, but not for options. It's not just the link that's gone -- the functonality has gone as well.

I wish somebody from Yahoo would comment on this as there are posts all over the internet about it. Is is temporary? Has it been removed by mistake? Or is it permanent?

It would be good customer service to state clearly what's going on here.

If it's permanent we should be told so we can migrate to MSN (which DOES allow multiple option quote downloads with a single request).

I was trying to find a link and symbology for msn downloads, but wasn't successful. Can you post it here?
    Thanks
  • Now that the conversion to the new option symbols is complete, does anyone have an update on whether Yahoo is going to allow option prices to be downloaded again?
  • No plans at this time to my knowledge.

Robyn
  • If anyone knows how to access Option quotes from MSN, please post here!! I've searched and have a feeling I'm not using the correct search terms because I've come up empty handed.

I'm still keeping my fingers crossed Yahoo will take the time and effort to get the downloadable Option quotes up and running again!

Thanks!

Recent Posts

in General Discussion at YDN