Yahoo Messenger archive access

I'm not sure whether I'm asking in the right place, so please bear with me. I've looked around a bit but couldn't find the answer elsewhere.

I'm considering writing a little application to read my Yahoo Messenger archives and convert them to email messages. I can do that easily enough by converting the archived message to text, and copying it into an email message. But I have a few years worth of weekly Yahoo! Messenger conferences that I'd like to convert in this manner, plus I'd like to be able to automate the process going forward. I was just wondering if there's an "official" API (preferably Java, but I'll take anything) through which I can access these archives. I've found some third party archive decoders, and one description of the format of the .dat file written by someone who reverse engineered it, but I'd prefer to use an official API if one exists. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks.

Tony

by
3 Replies
  • Tony,

There's no official Messenger API nor Groups API. Sorry!

Robyn Tippins
    Community Manager, YDN
  • QUOTE (Duzins @ Apr 28 2009, 11:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Tony,

There's no official Messenger API nor Groups API. Sorry!

Robyn Tippins
    Community Manager, YDN

Thank you Robyn. Is there also no published definition of the archive file format?

Tony
  • Tony,

I haven't gone through the old Messenger page on YDN, but there may be some info there that will be helpful. It's the only place that I know of that we discuss developer offerings for Messenger.

http://developer.yahoo.com/messenger/

Thanks,
    Robyn Tippins
    Community Manager, YDN

Recent Posts

in General Discussion at YDN