Yahoo BOSS TOU - store coordinates

Hi there,

I want to create a webapplication, where a user can add a place (e.g. restaurant, cinema, etc.) and add some additional informations to this place.

When adding the place, the user must also enter the places address. After the address has been entered, the user views the places position as a marker on a map (address is being geocoded). The user may move the marker to the exact position and saves the place.

Is it allowed to save the geocoded coordinates in my database if one of my core business functions is a surrounding search for places? I need these coordinates to find nearby places.

The terms of use say:

vi. store any Results (e.g., map imagery, map data or geocoded location information) from the Service, except (a) for temporary caching of Results to improve the performance of Your Offering, but only for so long as reasonably necessary; or (b) to support a core business function of Your Offering. You may not use these exceptions if You are storing or caching the Results for the purpose or effect of avoiding, reducing, or distorting the number of queries made, or Query Fees owed to Yahoo!.

by
  • S.
  • May 24, 2013
1 Reply
  • My mistake, my post was not yet finished.

Again, the terms of use:

vi. store any Results (e.g., map imagery, map data or geocoded location information) from the Service, except (a) for temporary caching of Results to improve the performance of Your Offering, but only for so long as reasonably necessary; or (b) to support a core business function of Your Offering. You may not use these exceptions if You are storing or caching the Results for the purpose or effect of avoiding, reducing, or distorting the number of queries made, or Query Fees owed to Yahoo!.

I do not want to use this exception to avoid queries, but there is no other way to find the nearby places than storing the coordinates and make a surrounding search, e.g. by Postgis.

Can somebody please clearify if this would be ok or if this is not allowed?

In short: Address to coordinates geocoding - marker shown on map - user may move marker - save place will store markers coordinates - coordinates required for finding nearby places.

Best regards, Sebastian

Recent Posts

in General Discussion at YDN