Using Yahoo local APi

Hi,

I'm working on a mobile application which uses yahoo local search web API. The application is not supported by any advertisement am i violating the ToU for Yahoo! Search?.

Thanks

Jaya

by
4 Replies
  • QUOTE (Duzins @ Mar 2 2009, 11:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Local was discontinued on January 19, 2009. :(Don't understand. Local Search API is still up and running and on your website but license says for "non-commerical" use and specifically says you can't us it in a "for-pay" application. Isn't that correct? If so, does Yahoo expect to change this? Yahoo local search is probably the best local POI search api out there. There are a lot of us that would like to use it in a "for pay" application. (and perhaps even pay for it's use). What's the deal?
  • Ronald,

You are absolutely right. I got Local confused with another Search API we just shut down. Argh, sorry about that!

If you are not charging money for your app, nor running ads, I don't see how it could be a commercial app at all. Likewise, it looks like Local uses the standard Yahoo! TOS so I don't see any reason that it being a mobile app would make a difference. I can't give you a firm answer without seeing the app, but what you are describing sounds like it fits within the terms of service for that API.

Robyn Tippins
    Community Manager, YDN
  • Hi,

We are planning a commercial mobile application where the user will pay only once (no subscription costs) to download the application. We won't be displaying any ads so can we use the Local Search and Maps API?? Are we required to pay any licensing fees?
  • Closing thread. For specific questions on commercial terms, please contact YDN via email using the Contact Form in the header.

Thanks,
    Robyn Tippins
    Community Manager, YDN
  • Recent Posts

in General Discussion at YDN