Newbie Questions on Yahoo Social API

Hi,

I am planning to develop a PHP application that uses Yahoo Social API for interfacing with address book. I have a few questions in mind that I thought to get some input here. These questions might sound a bit stupid, and I can't promise that they will be the last. I am really beginner in using Yahoo Social API, so I hope I can get some good pointers here.

1. Currently I know there is 2 ways for me to call the API, either via low level REST call, or through a PHP client library. Which is the recommended way? My thoughts are the latter method is more productive as I don't have to deal with the low level HTTP connection and decoding the REST response.

2. What are the current choices of client library in PHP for using the API? What would you recommend me to use?

3. The OAuth process sounds quite straightforward to me conceptually, but handling the process on the programming level seems a bit daunting and tedious. Is there any good PHP class library for facilitating the OAuth process?

4. I read that the access token that is obtained in the OAuth process will be expired in an hour. What if I need to create an application that requires seamless integration with Yahoo address book, it will be somewhat awkward if the user have to relogin again every hour for the application to reauthenticate and get a new access token.

5. My PHP application will be deployed under a shared web hosting. Will this causes any problem on installing any third party libraries? I heard from my friend that this can be somewhat problematic, as the web host typically already predefined the PHP include directory in php.ini where I have no way to modify it. On the other hand, I don't think web host will allow me to install my third party library at the current include directory as well. How do I go about this?

6. I tried install the PHP SDK at http://developer.yahoo.com/social/sdk/php/, I seem a bit out of luck here, I got Internal Server 500 error when try out the examples and unit tests. I suspect there is something wrong with my installation. Can anyone share me some good pointers of some common pitfalls?

7. Any good and simple tutorial to recommend to get me started on using Yahoo Social API in PHP?

Thanks in advance!

by
1 Reply
  • Hello,

I see no one responded to your questions but were you able to find any solutions yourself? I'm just starting out as well and am curious specifically about your OAuth questions.

Thanks,
    Arturo

QUOTE (thomascheah @ Feb 26 2011, 05:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Hi,

I am planning to develop a PHP application that uses Yahoo Social API for interfacing with address book. I have a few questions in mind that I thought to get some input here. These questions might sound a bit stupid, and I can't promise that they will be the last. I am really beginner in using Yahoo Social API, so I hope I can get some good pointers here.

1. Currently I know there is 2 ways for me to call the API, either via low level REST call, or through a PHP client library. Which is the recommended way? My thoughts are the latter method is more productive as I don't have to deal with the low level HTTP connection and decoding the REST response.

2. What are the current choices of client library in PHP for using the API? What would you recommend me to use?

3. The OAuth process sounds quite straightforward to me conceptually, but handling the process on the programming level seems a bit daunting and tedious. Is there any good PHP class library for facilitating the OAuth process?

4. I read that the access token that is obtained in the OAuth process will be expired in an hour. What if I need to create an application that requires seamless integration with Yahoo address book, it will be somewhat awkward if the user have to relogin again every hour for the application to reauthenticate and get a new access token.

5. My PHP application will be deployed under a shared web hosting. Will this causes any problem on installing any third party libraries? I heard from my friend that this can be somewhat problematic, as the web host typically already predefined the PHP include directory in php.ini where I have no way to modify it. On the other hand, I don't think web host will allow me to install my third party library at the current include directory as well. How do I go about this?

6. I tried install the PHP SDK at http://developer.yahoo.com/social/sdk/php/, I seem a bit out of luck here, I got Internal Server 500 error when try out the examples and unit tests. I suspect there is something wrong with my installation. Can anyone share me some good pointers of some common pitfalls?

7. Any good and simple tutorial to recommend to get me started on using Yahoo Social API in PHP?

Thanks in advance!

Recent Posts

in General Discussion at YDN