Mail API returning error 999

I keep getting a 999 error from the mail api. I put a copy of the bbauth quickstart example on my webserver hosted by mediatemple. I'm created an app so the app_id and secret are replaced with my own and not the examples.

The soap version just returns the error "Unable to process request at this time -- error 999" while the JSON version returns a webpage with the following message:
Unfortunately we are unable to process your request at this time. This error is usually temporary. Please try again later.

If you continue to experience this error, it may be caused by one of the following:

* You may want to scan your system for spyware and viruses, as they may interfere with your ability to connect to Yahoo!. For detailed information on spyware and virus protection, please visit the Yahoo! Security Center.
* This problem may be due to unusual network activity coming from your Internet Service Provider. We recommend that you report this problem to them.

While this error is usually temporary, if it continues and the above solutions don't resolve your problem, please let us know.

I'm sure theres rate limits on the apis, but I have only called the api a couple dozen times, maybe less. So, I wonder if another site on mediatemple (on the same share) has a yahoo app that is hogging the bandwidth.

Can anyone help?

by
4 Replies
  • Adrian,

Is this still occurring?

Robyn Tippins
    @duzins on Twitter
    Community Manager, YDN

***Follow YDN on Twitter and Facebook***
  • QUOTE (duzins @ Feb 19 2010, 08:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Adrian,

Is this still occurring?

Robyn Tippins
    @duzins on Twitter
    Community Manager, YDN

Yes. I haven't tried it since I posted, but I just tried it now and I still receive the error. Any clue what's going on?
  • Hi, Adrian:
    I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble. I think your diagnosis is correct here: Your shared web host's IP is probably exceeding our rate limits. The limits are ordinarily quite reasonable, but unfortunately, there is no override or exemption we can perform. My only suggestion is to see whether Mediatemple can switch you to another server, since there is likely a runaway process on the one you're on making an inordinate number of requests.

Hope that helps,
    /m
  • I've escalated this to the Mail team. Sorry for the frustration!

Cheers!
    Robyn Tippins
    @duzins on Twitter
    Community Manager, YDN

Recent Posts

in General Discussion at YDN