Legality of use Yahoo! Finance data

Hello!

I would like to create some ASP.NET control (module) to display financial information from Yahoo! Finance page: real-time quotes, charts and news. I understand that redistribution of Yahoo! Finance data is forbidden according to term of use on the site. However, so many solutions (financial news, quotes grabbers) have been already implemented and available for use.

And my questions are the following:

1. Question is more about legal usage of your data

Imagine:
Application part with your data developed by me is sold and put by some third-party vendor on its site
One day it becomes illegal. Who should take care of closing the data? Developer (aka me) or third party vendor?

2. Maybe some kind of workaround is available and Yahoo! Finance Data can be displayed on other applications? For example with copyright data and etc.

3. How to protect developers of such control (module)? Use some special disclaimer for the module, any ideas?

Any help, comments and information will be much appreciated.
Thank you in advance.

P.S. I will provide summary report for these important questions. So, please help me with any information and ideas you have.

by
6 Replies
  • QUOTE (yury.korvel @ Nov 18 2009, 05:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Hello!

I would like to create some ASP.NET control (module) to display financial information from Yahoo! Finance page: real-time quotes, charts and news. I understand that redistribution of Yahoo! Finance data is forbidden according to term of use on the site. However, so many solutions (financial news, quotes grabbers) have been already implemented and available for use.

And my questions are the following:

1. Question is more about legal usage of your data

Imagine:
    Application part with your data developed by me is sold and put by some third-party vendor on its site
    One day it becomes illegal. Who should take care of closing the data? Developer (aka me) or third party vendor?

2. Maybe some kind of workaround is available and Yahoo! Finance Data can be displayed on other applications? For example with copyright data and etc.

3. How to protect developers of such control (module)? Use some special disclaimer for the module, any ideas?

Any help, comments and information will be much appreciated.
    Thank you in advance.

P.S. I will provide summary report for these important questions. So, please help me with any information and ideas you have.

1 is already against our TOS unless you are using our Finance Badge.
    2 The data that we provide is not available for distribution at all off of Yahoo!
    3 I don't understand the last question.

Robyn Tippins
    Community Manager, YDN
  • QUOTE (duzins @ Nov 23 2009, 11:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    2 The data that we provide is not available for distribution at all off of Yahoo!

This sounds reasonable, but I saw a number of applications which provides an access to the yahoo.finance historical data, for example, Ninja Trader:
    http://www.ninjatrader.com/webnew/trading_...rader_free.htm:
    What data feed providers can I use?
    # Yahoo Finance for End-of-Day historical data (free source)

Do they do it legal? Does any kind of agreement, which lets developers to use yahoo.finance as a data source, exist?
  • 1 is already against our TOS unless you are using our Finance Badge.

Robyn Tippins
    Community Manager, YDN

Is't possible to use Yahoo! financial data in an art work? That is, a derivative art work the includes financial data (quotes, volumes, stock names), without any commercial aim... just an art work about our present days.
    Do I need a licence to do that or can I pay for a licence to do that?
    thank you

Da
  • Dasalle,

Any redistribution is forbidden, it's there for personal use only. Thanks,

Robyn
  • Hey Robyn, i would like to buy End of Day data (daily updated) from yahoo. what is the procedure for this? can i have a quotation (sam_lyon_fr@yahoo.fr)? in addition i would be very happy if i could have 1 update of all stock prices at a specific time of everyday- say at 12:00 noon. thanks in advance, Regards Samir P.S. the end of day daily updated file would be a text file with the total number of American stocks at lines and as columns Open, High, Low, Close, volume.

• We do not offer this data for commercial usage, due to license restrictions from our providers. Thank you.

Recent Posts

in General Discussion at YDN