Dow Jones Average Error

Is there a reason why we get an error getting the Dow Jones Average? The error is: Missing Symbols List.

It was working until yesterday at 5:00pm CT then started returning this error.

I am able to get the S&P 500 and the NASDAQ information using the same query but not the Dow.

The url that I am using is:

"http://download.finance.yahoo.com/d/quotes.csv?s=^DJI&f=l1c1"

Thanks
Tom

8 Replies
  • As you saw in my post, I'm having the same problem.

Something curious:

If you go to this URL for Nasdaq:

http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=%5EIXIC

Look in the lower right - it has a link for "Download data" under Toolbox.

If you go to this URL for Dow:

http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=%5EDJI

The same download link does not exist under Toolbox....

Hopefully it gets fixed soon - otherwise, I will have to look at other web services.
  • Hello Tom,
    Thank you for writing to Yahoo! Finance.
    I understand you're reporting that you cannot download CSV data for ^DJI. I can certainly give you more information about this.
    The limitation you are encountering is due to restrictions by the Dow Jones Index. Yahoo! is no longer able to provide Dow Jones Index data in this manner. I apologize for any inconvenience caused.
    Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.
    Thank you again for contacting Yahoo! Finance.

Regards,
    Brett
    Yahoo! Finance Customer Care

Well that stinks. Would have been if they'd have given a little heads up.

Tom
  • Why can I still get it for ^DJA (Dow Jones Composite), ^DJT (Dow Jones Transportation), etc.?
  • Good question. I'm going to push this further with Yahoo financial. The reply seems like a canned response.

Tom
  • QUOTE (Tom Wright @ Sep 10 2010, 04:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Good question. I'm going to push this further with Yahoo financial. The reply seems like a canned response.

Tom

What I hate the most is there is no way to contact support directly and they rarely ever watch these boards. I guess that is why most developers go with Google.
  • Tom,

The response above means that contractually, we have to remove DJI from the API and Finance page. There's really not anything more I can tell you.

I watch these forums, but missed this thread until now. I have been answering this question on Twitter and via email though. If you ever need a super-fast response, you can post a post here and either Tweet us @ydn to alert us that there's a pressing matter or post the post here, and let us know via email (click on Support, then Contact above). I read all emails that we get personally, and while I can't answer them all within minutes, I do read them pretty quickly and it's a good way to quickly alert us of a problem.

Thanks, and sorry I missed this post from Weds.

Robyn
  • What is the alternate solution to get Dow Jones data ?

• What makes zero sense is that this symbol works fine on the Yahoo Finance page, but it fails to work in the widget or in the Messenger plugin. How can it be possible that Dow Jones lets Yahoo use the symbol and data on the webpage, but not in another Yahoo product that simply reports the data from the Yahoo Finance page?

Recent Posts

in General Discussion at YDN