Acceptable Uses for APIs

Hi,

I was looking through the Terms of Use for the APIs (specifically for the Finance API RSS Feeds) and I was wondering if it was possible to use that on a commercial website. All I would be doing would be using the RSS feeds for ticker specific symbols on my site. The ToU says that as a general point that trying to increase traffic by posting yahoo content is generally unacceptable but it also said that they're opening it up. My site is entirely fueled by ad revenues so there is not even a login of any sort. So, my question is if it is still acceptable to use this. My guess is no, but I wanted to bring this up for others in the future. Also, if it is unacceptable, I was wondering if anybody else might know where I can get stock-specific news or news about stocks that I can re-display on my site in general.

I greatly appreciate the help!

JPG

by
4 Replies
  • JPG,

Let's take this offline. I'll email you in just a sec w/an answer.

Robyn
    Community Manager, YDN

QUOTE (J @ Nov 20 2008, 10:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Hi,

I was looking through the Terms of Use for the APIs (specifically for the Finance API RSS Feeds) and I was wondering if it was possible to use that on a commercial website. All I would be doing would be using the RSS feeds for ticker specific symbols on my site. The ToU says that as a general point that trying to increase traffic by posting yahoo content is generally unacceptable but it also said that they're opening it up. My site is entirely fueled by ad revenues so there is not even a login of any sort. So, my question is if it is still acceptable to use this. My guess is no, but I wanted to bring this up for others in the future. Also, if it is unacceptable, I was wondering if anybody else might know where I can get stock-specific news or news about stocks that I can re-display on my site in general.

I greatly appreciate the help!

JPG
  • Oops. The email on file for you bounced. Can you email me at rtippins at yahoo-inc.com?

Robyn Tippins
    Community Manager, YDN

QUOTE (Duzins @ Nov 20 2008, 02:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    JPG,

Let's take this offline. I'll email you in just a sec w/an answer.

Robyn
    Community Manager, YDN
  • The terms of service have been bugging me as well… In my case the API is for GeoPlanet and I've been waiting for a response concerning commercial use for over two months now.
  • Please email me offline at Rtippins at yahoo-inc.com. We'll get you an answer ASAP.

Robyn

QUOTE (Kari Pätilä @ Dec 25 2008, 01:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    The terms of service have been bugging me as well… In my case the API is for GeoPlanet and I've been waiting for a response concerning commercial use for over two months now.

Recent Posts

in General Discussion at YDN