<Message>limit exceeded</Message>

Hi

Hoping someone can help me here.?

Over the last couple of months I have noticed that when I ping Yahoo about sitemap updates I get the following error message.

http://search.yahooapis.com/SiteExplorerSe...com/sitemap.xml

<Error>
The following errors were detected:
<Message>limit exceeded</Message>
</Error>

<!--
ws06.search.re2.yahoo.com uncompressed/chunked Tue Dec 1 03:01:27 PST 2009
-->

I may update once or twice a month and ping all the main SE's - I dont seem to have a problem with Google but this Yahoo message is concerning me.

Could any one shed any light as to why I am receiving it and what can I do to rectify?

Many thanks
David

3 Replies
  • This could have to do with the rate limiting for the number of requests being made out. While I'm not 100% certain how the search team rate limits a ping request with a sitemap, it seems to be consistent with hitting the upper bounds of the daily rate limits: http://developer.yahoo.com/search/rate.html

When you see this message, do you see it consistently for a 24 hour period?

- Jon
  • We've had a similar problem for some time and often using a web browser doesn't work either.

With the limit set to 5,000 requests per day, it seems unlikely that we will have met that limit.

Can you provide some more information on how to diagnose this?

I'd heard that ping via SiteExplorer had been deprecated in favour of another method; is this true?
  • I just got the limit exceeded error message after only one successful submit. The second ping fails. Has anybody solved this?
  • QUOTE (dawkcodave @ Mar 6 2010, 12:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    I just got the limit exceeded error message after only one successful submit. The second ping fails. Has anybody solved this?

I get this problem too. I think there is a hard limit set per minute, because I have tried delaying my calls and it seems to work if I space them out. Also it seems that a certain number of calls within the same CURL session seems to trip the rate limiting.

but I haven't been able to get an answer on this.
  • Yes, there is a hard limit on the number of consecutive calls that are made in a short span. After hammering the service with 5 requests I believe it will start to limit you or space the requests out. If you manually space these requests that solves the problem.

- Jon

Recent Posts

in General Discussion at YDN