non-admin install

Requiring administrator privileges in the Windows installer is an absolute show-stopper for me. I do not have administrator-level access to my company laptop (Windows XP), and BP does not run on my personal laptop (Ubuntu). I do not know how many users are in a similar situation, but I am completely unable to use BP in any fashion at this time. But even if I could run the installer, and I developed a BP-enabled service, I wouldn't want my users to need admin rights to use my service. Right or wrong, many large companies don't give out admin rights, and for what I want to do, those users are exactly the kind of users I am interested in serving.

So not only can't I use BP myself, I wouldn't want to develop anything which depends on it. For me the *only* reason to develop on BP is that Web-based deployment is the easiest possible thing for users, and requiring admin access utterly defeats the advantage of browser-based deployment. If I wanted a complex install involving the registry, etc. I would write a desktop app.

I think the YUI library is excellent, and really would like to put it together with BP to create a full-featured, browser-based app. Please consider developing a non-admin install process. Cheers!

by
3 Replies
  • QUOTE (jkl102001 @ Mar 31 2009, 08:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Requiring administrator privileges in the Windows installer is an absolute show-stopper for me. I do not have administrator-level access to my company laptop (Windows XP), and BP does not run on my personal laptop (Ubuntu). I do not know how many users are in a similar situation, but I am completely unable to use BP in any fashion at this time. But even if I could run the installer, and I developed a BP-enabled service, I wouldn't want my users to need admin rights to use my service. Right or wrong, many large companies don't give out admin rights, and for what I want to do, those users are exactly the kind of users I am interested in serving.

So not only can't I use BP myself, I wouldn't want to develop anything which depends on it. For me the *only* reason to develop on BP is that Web-based deployment is the easiest possible thing for users, and requiring admin access utterly defeats the advantage of browser-based deployment. If I wanted a complex install involving the registry, etc. I would write a desktop app.

I think the YUI library is excellent, and really would like to put it together with BP to create a full-featured, browser-based app. Please consider developing a non-admin install process. Cheers!

Hi jkl102001,

I totally agree with you. We hate the fact that we must require administrative access for installation on windows. On osx, for instance, we went to great pains to remove the administrative requirement (actually writing, and now debugging :)lloyd
  • Hi jkl102001,

We're looking in to whether or not we can do a fully user-scoped, non-admin install on Windows. It's something we'd really like to do. So, in the near future we should have a definitive answer for you.

-- gordon
  • Hi jkl102001,

Our next platform push (around mid-May) will have fully user-scoped, non-admin installs for Windows. No admin privileges needed to install or run.

-- gordon
This forum is locked.

Recent Posts

in Feature Ideas