bittorrent?

opera has already embedded bittorrent support, I think it would be interesting if we could bring the rest of the popular browsers up to speed.

This would allow a lower cost in-page distribution channel for large downloads, and could reduce costs and delays for extremely popular and large content. Obviously, many stars would have to align before this would become viable, but it has captured my imagination.

thoughts?
lloyd

by
2 Replies
  • QUOTE (Lloyd Hilaiel @ Nov 11 2008, 10:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    opera has already embedded bittorrent support, I think it would be interesting if we could bring the rest of the popular browsers up to speed.

This would allow a lower cost in-page distribution channel for large downloads, and could reduce costs and delays for extremely popular and large content. Obviously, many stars would have to align before this would become viable, but it has captured my imagination.

thoughts?
    lloyd

It's an interesting idea - I'm not convinced that running bt in a browser is that good a way to go, it's fine in principle but I don't think it would get used unless it was completely transparent to the user. My reasoning is that most bt users are technical and already have a favorite client which leave the non-technical users who tend to download things that are already on CDN's. BitTorrent Inc has a product that looks to the browser like a web proxy but in fact fetches the file using BitTorrent - it's not gotten a lot of market traction.

John
    P.S. Disclosure: I was VP Engineering for BitTorrent Inc for a while.
  • QUOTE (John P @ Nov 25 2008, 05:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    It's an interesting idea - I'm not convinced that running bt in a browser is that good a way to go, it's fine in principle but I don't think it would get used unless it was completely transparent to the user. My reasoning is that most bt users are technical and already have a favorite client which leave the non-technical users who tend to download things that are already on CDN's. BitTorrent Inc has a product that looks to the browser like a web proxy but in fact fetches the file using BitTorrent - it's not gotten a lot of market traction.

John
    P.S. Disclosure: I was VP Engineering for BitTorrent Inc for a while.

Hi John,

This was really my thought - that end users needn't know what "bittorrent" means, just that when installed they get an "accelerated download experience". I do hear what you're saying about non-technical users being more likely to consume content that's already on a CDN and the end-user benefits are minimal (in this case, how do you justify the extra download? kinda like downloading installation images from MSDN requires you're on IE and requires you install something just to get it)...

I guess if we had massive BrowserPlus distribution the presence of in-browser bittorrent could decrease the cost of distributing content for smaller companies or organizations... but perhaps this idea goes in the backlog bucket...

thanks for your thoughts,
    lloyd
This forum is locked.

Recent Posts

in Feature Ideas