UDP or Bonjour support?

I'm thinking, for example, you could make a cool file transfer system.

Users (in the same LAN) could drag files on and off your BrowserPlus app. Would be great for companies.

8 Replies
  • QUOTE (alexandermaccaw @ Nov 11 2008, 09:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    I'm thinking, for example, you could make a cool file transfer system.

Users (in the same LAN) could drag files on and off your BrowserPlus app. Would be great for companies.

I get it. Decentralized (same lan) p2p could be interesting. Taking it further, collaboration services in general could get pretty interesting. Imagine an easy way for page developers to integrate an on-page collaborative system where folks could realtime chat/file transfer with others viewing the same page. Applications both to a corporate environment and public environment...

Do you have any specific libraries/technologies in ruby or native code in mind for the decentralized bonjor/UDP idea?

lloyd
  • Yes, would be really cool.

QUOTE (Lloyd Hilaiel @ Nov 11 2008, 10:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Do you have any specific libraries/technologies in ruby or native code in mind for the decentralized bonjor/UDP idea?

There's a pure ruby lib called net-mdns - http://dnssd.rubyforge.org/net-mdns/
  • QUOTE (Lloyd Hilaiel @ Nov 11 2008, 10:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

And, for the actual communication between clients, you could have a simple json rpc - or use DRB. Bother require a raw tcp connection to bind too though (which is another feature request :) ).
  • QUOTE (alexandermaccaw @ Nov 11 2008, 12:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    And, for the actual communication between clients, you could have a simple json rpc - or use DRB. Bother require a raw tcp connection to bind too though (which is another feature request :)lloyd
  • QUOTE (Lloyd Hilaiel @ Nov 12 2008, 08:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    now what if we could empower folks everywhere, like yourself, to realized ideas, like this one, without having to talk to us... ;)
  • QUOTE (alexandermaccaw @ Nov 12 2008, 03:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Yes, can't wait until we can write our own services. At the moment the competition (such as Flash) are far too restricted - this is indeed a breath of fresh air!

Afraid I'm in the UK :(lloyd
  • QUOTE (Lloyd Hilaiel @ Nov 18 2008, 10:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Hi Alexander,

Finally today we announced our intention to open source BrowserPlus. What this would mean for this specific idea is that we could start a project around it.

Within the next couple months we'll have our API and documentation around the implementation of services available, and we'd love to hack this idea out together, out it the open. If nothing else we could flesh some ideas about an API that could expose p2p communications to javascript.

very best,
    lloyd

Sorry for the slow response.

Have been playing around with services, have a couple of questions.
    * Why the need for bp_require? It looks like it needs an absolute path from the service folder too.
    * Is bp.complete part of the async api. If so, that's really cool! This async api makes it really easy to add bonjour integration. Can I call it multiple times?
    * Can I return Ruby objects?

I'm thinking a Bonjour api would look like this:

PlusJour.list(service_name, timeout=3)
    PlusJour.register(service_name, name, port, text_record)

This sort of thing is currently really hard to test with the current workflow (especially since it deletes your code if you get anything wrong!), but I'm sure that'll change with the published api.
    Can you PM me if there's some sort of private beta for that api.

Thanks,
    Alex
  • QUOTE (alexandermaccaw @ Dec 10 2008, 06:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Sorry for the slow response.

Have been playing around with services, have a couple of questions.
    * Why the need for bp_require? It looks like it needs an absolute path from the service folder too.
    * Is bp.complete part of the async api. If so, that's really cool! This async api makes it really easy to add bonjour integration. Can I call it multiple times?
    * Can I return Ruby objects?

I'm thinking a Bonjour api would look like this:

PlusJour.list(service_name, timeout=3)
    PlusJour.register(service_name, name, port, text_record)

This sort of thing is currently really hard to test with the current workflow (especially since it deletes your code if you get anything wrong!), but I'm sure that'll change with the published api.
    Can you PM me if there's some sort of private beta for that api.

Thanks,
    Alex

Probably should move this thread to "Service Authors" forum. I'll do that and respond there under the title "Peculiarities with the ruby env in BrowserPlus".

lloyd
This forum is locked.

Recent Posts

in Feature Ideas