How to use BrowserPlus with websites that does not support ?

Hi,

I am very new to BrowserPlus. Just came across this when browsing about 30 mins ago.

I saw the demos, some videos and topics in the forum.

My understanding is, the cool features of BrowserPlus can only be utilized only when the website which you are browsing supports it.

Does BrowserPlus recognize the javascript if i add it via a GreaseMonkey script ? This way i no longer have to wait for the website to support instead i can customize website myself smile.gif

by
8 Replies
  • QUOTE (Uday @ Nov 19 2008, 11:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Hi,

I am very new to BrowserPlus. Just came across this when browsing about 30 mins ago.

I saw the demos, some videos and topics in the forum.

My understanding is, the cool features of BrowserPlus can only be utilized only when the website which you are browsing supports it.

Does BrowserPlus recognize the javascript if i add it via a GreaseMonkey script ? This way i no longer have to wait for the website to support instead i can customize website myself :)lloyd
  • QUOTE (Lloyd Hilaiel @ Nov 20 2008, 09:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Hi Uday,

Absolutely! I've been wanting a greasemonkey script: specifically search.twitter.com would give me notifications as new search results become available.

We've done a couple greasemonkey scripts using browserplus in the past, and encountered no problems. If you generate anything you're proud of, please post it in the Hacks forum.

best,
    lloyd

Great...

Can i know where can i find the GreaseMonkey script for search.twitter.com ? And do i always need to keep one of my browsers open with search.twitter.com or Does it run the first time and the next time it runs in background ?
  • QUOTE (Uday @ Nov 20 2008, 02:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Great...

Can i know where can i find the GreaseMonkey script for search.twitter.com ? And do i always need to keep one of my browsers open with search.twitter.com or Does it run the first time and the next time it runs in background ?

Sorry Uday, I guess I wasn't clear. I haven't written that script for search.twitter.com. I want to write it! Maybe I'll make some time after this upcoming push to actually craft it (or hopefully someone will beat me to it).

The script we did write a while ago is way outta date.

very best, and sorry for being confusing,
    lloyd
  • QUOTE (Lloyd Hilaiel @ Nov 20 2008, 05:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Sorry Uday, I guess I wasn't clear. I haven't written that script for search.twitter.com. I want to write it! Maybe I'll make some time after this upcoming push to actually craft it (or hopefully someone will beat me to it).

The script we did write a while ago is way outta date.

very best, and sorry for being confusing,
    lloyd

Hi Lloyd,

I have started working on your idea of showing desktop notification when there is new search result in search.twitter.com.

Everything works fine. I have used the standalone example in the toolbox section and managed to show the notification with number of new results when there is a new search result. But the notification shows up only in the browser where as the standalone example shows it in the desktop even when the browser is minimized.

The user script i have written is here http://myrover.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/sc...browser_plus.js

Can you think of any reason why it is not displayed on the desktop ?

Thanks,
    Uday.
  • QUOTE (Uday @ Nov 22 2008, 01:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Hi Lloyd,

I have started working on your idea of showing desktop notification when there is new search result in search.twitter.com.

Everything works fine. I have used the standalone example in the toolbox section and managed to show the notification with number of new results when there is a new search result. But the notification shows up only in the browser where as the standalone example shows it in the desktop even when the browser is minimized.

The user script i have written is here http://myrover.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/sc...browser_plus.js

Can you think of any reason why it is not displayed on the desktop ?

Thanks,
    Uday.

Nice!

There have been some complaints against the notify toolbox item in terms of race conditions causing notifications to occur in-page. Maybe give the "native" browserplus code a try:

CODE
    BrowserPlus.init(function(rez) {
    if (rez.success) {
    BrowserPlus.require({services: [{service: "Notify", verison: "2" }]},
    function(rez) {
    if (rez.success) {
    BrowserPlus.Notify.show({title: "hi there", message: "hi from frame 1"}, function() {});
    }
    });
    }
    });

please let me if this works for you. Eager to install the script ;)lloyd
  • Hi lloyd,
    Thanks for the suggestion. It worked.

But i had to take a new approch to the grease monkey script. Not sure if this is correct. Let me know if there is something wrong.

http://browserplus-scripts.googlecode.com/...-search-user.js

- Uday.
    QUOTE (Lloyd Hilaiel @ Nov 25 2008, 09:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Nice!

There have been some complaints against the notify toolbox item in terms of race conditions causing notifications to occur in-page. Maybe give the "native" browserplus code a try:

CODE
    BrowserPlus.init(function(rez) {
    if (rez.success) {
    BrowserPlus.require({services: [{service: "Notify", verison: "2" }]},
    function(rez) {
    if (rez.success) {
    BrowserPlus.Notify.show({title: "hi there", message: "hi from frame 1"}, function() {});
    }
    });
    }
    });

please let me if this works for you. Eager to install the script ;)lloyd
  • QUOTE (Uday @ Nov 28 2008, 03:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Hi lloyd,
    Thanks for the suggestion. It worked.

But i had to take a new approch to the grease monkey script. Not sure if this is correct. Let me know if there is something wrong.

http://browserplus-scripts.googlecode.com/...-search-user.js

- Uday.

Awesome! Installed the script and it works! This is actually something I'll use on a daily basis :Dlloyd
  • QUOTE (Lloyd Hilaiel @ Nov 28 2008, 10:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Awesome! Installed the script and it works! This is actually something I'll use on a daily basis :DUday.
This forum is locked.

Recent Posts

in Feature Ideas