terms of use

Hey folks,

The first paragraph of the API home page says that the API can only be used for non-commercial applications, but the main Yahoo API terms of use don't contain that restriction. Am I missing it in the terms? Or is one of those pages "wrong"?

by
20 Replies
  • [quote name='Sujal' date='Jun 2 2010, 05:42 PM' post='15833']
    Hey folks,

The first paragraph of the API home page says that the API can only be used for non-commercial applications, but the main Yahoo API terms of use don't contain that restriction. Am I missing it in the terms? Or is one of those pages "wrong"?
    [/quote]

I was wondering the same thing.
    if the non-commercial restriction stands, does it mean that we can use the APIs for a free iPhone app but not for a 99c one ?
    what if the app contains some advertising ? is that considered commercial then ?
  • When reading the section that I posted in reply to the original poster, I don't think we are even allowed to monetize through advertising but I would love to hear an official clarification on that

[quote name='Pickemfirst Dev' date='Jun 2 2010, 08:00 PM' post='15834']
    I was wondering the same thing.
    if the non-commercial restriction stands, does it mean that we can use the APIs for a free iPhone app but not for a 99c one ?
    what if the app contains some advertising ? is that considered commercial then ?
    [/quote]
  • Here are 2 articles about this subject:

http://blog.programmableweb.com/2010/06/02/yahoo-opens-first-ever-fantasy-sports-api/
    "As with many APIs, the new fantasy sports platform is only available for non-commercial use. That is both good and bad news for users. The good news is that anything developers create will be available for free. The bad news is that developers won’t be incentivized to create powerful tools for which users might pay. To address this downside, Geller said Yahoo is working toward a program where developers could, for a fee, upgrade their license to allow commercial use."

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/06/02/yahoo_opens_fantasy_sports_apis/
    "Currently, applications are forbidden from generating any revenue, which rules out advertising on apps as well. You can learn more here. "
  • [quote name='benoit808' date='Jun 2 2010, 08:52 PM' post='15846']
    When reading the section that I posted in reply to the original poster, I don't think we are even allowed to monetize through advertising but I would love to hear an official clarification on that
    [/quote]

Thanks, i missed that half of the clause.

Sujal
  • Okay! Just heard back from our lawyer friends, and as you'd expect, the answers are a bit wishy-washy. :P Also, we definitely have it on our radar to try to have extended licenses for commercial use, we just need to gauge demand and see what's possible in that regard with respect to our existing contracts. Not guaranteed that we'll have that, but we're looking hard at it.
  • I understand the constraints due to third party statistics.

how about having different level of commercial licenses ?

one that would include statistical from third party
    and another one that would contain only Yahoo data (leagues and games)

the latter being free or very cheap...
  • That would be a very good approach to have a tiered licensing depending on the needs. Complicates things a little bit but it's better than having an all or nothing because of legal considerations
  • QUOTE (Pickemfirst Dev @ Jun 3 2010, 02:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    I understand the constraints due to third party statistics.

how about having different level of commercial licenses ?

one that would include statistical from third party
    and another one that would contain only Yahoo data (leagues and games)

the latter being free or very cheap...

The only issue I see with that is, one would presumably want to be able to link player ids up with whatever 3rd party provider they are currently using for stats and that could be a bit of a headache I would imagine. Of couse I'm no longer in development, so I could be wrong :)Either way, this is a great first step.
  • QUOTE (Ameet @ Jun 23 2010, 04:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    one would presumably want to be able to link player ids up with whatever 3rd party provider they are currently using for stats

yes, mapping player ids between web sites is a required step
    It's not that difficult, though.
    I've talked to several developers who have developed their own solution.
  • I believe the info you are looking for is in http://info.yahoo.com/legal/us/yahoo/api/api-2140.html section 1.g.iv

[quote]Sell, lease, share, transfer, or sublicense the Yahoo! APIs or access or access codes thereto or [b]derive income from the use or provision[/b] of the Yahoo! APIs, [b]whether for direct commercial or monetary gain[/b] or otherwise, without Yahoo!'s prior, express, written permission;[/quote]

[quote name='Sujal' date='Jun 2 2010, 05:42 PM' post='15833']
    Hey folks,

[/quote]
  • Congrats on the first posts to the forums, guys!

I'm almost positive that we had a Fantasy Sports specific TOU floating around that made the "non-commercial" clause a bit more concrete, but we're not linking to that from the Fantasy Sports API home page. I'm following up to figure out what's going on there. Regardless, to the best of my knowledge, the statement on the home page is correct -- we are currently requesting that only non-commercial applications be built on top of our services. I'll try to have a more definitive answer by tomorrow.
  • Fantasy Guru on Android has ads.

This wont work unless developers can monetize it. can't believe yahoo doesn't pay in house to get the stats...? I don't know much about that though.
  • I know someone very interested in commercial use. He thinks he has a decent product. Sean would it ever be possible to charge for an app using the Yahoo API or should a developer I know try to pull data from somewhere else? Would Yahoo's stat provider ever allow this or it be better for the developer to try to negotiate for a commercial license with someone else? Can you share with me where Yahoo gets its stats from?
  • See http://developer.yahoo.net/forum/index.php...ost&p=18488 . Basically:

• We do not generate our own stats in house.
    • We're trying to figure out how to allow commercial licenses.
    • This may or may not ever happen, but we're trying! :P
  • QUOTE (Sean Montgomery @ Aug 31 2010, 10:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    See http://developer.yahoo.net/forum/index.php...ost&p=18488 . Basically:

• We do not generate our own stats in house.
    • We're trying to figure out how to allow commercial licenses.
    • This may or may not ever happen, but we're trying! :PCan you direct message me with some contact info for your attorneys? I am a CA attorney representing a developer trying to find a way for him to be able to monetize his product. I've reviewed the TOU documents. Perhaps they can give me more background on how to approach the issue. Many thanks!
  • Checking into this topic. Last post was over 2 years ago. I would like to know if Yahoo now offers the ability to develop and sell apps that are making use of the Yahoo Fantasy Sports API.

I am intrigued by such example as the Fantasy Monster App (http://www.fantasymonsterapp.com). I would assume this app is using the Yahoo Fantasy API to access your Yahoo league data?

If someone at Yahoo could please update us on the status of developing & selling apps making use of the Yahoo Fantasy API.

Thanks!

• I was wondering the same thing about the Fantasy Monster App. This app seems to be the only one able to work around the non-commercialization clause for the yahoo API. Are they paying a fee or has yahoo updated their policy?

• I as well am interested to know if Yahoo is now offers the ability to develop and sell apps that are making use of the Yahoo Fantasy Sports API.

Anyone from Yahoo, please shed some light on this topic for the community.

• Second Frank Above - super wishy washy.

• I would like to use this API to download only the team names and rosters, while getting the stats from elsewhere. Is there any way to accomplish this?

Recent Posts

in Fantasy Sports API