fantasy sports api down?

When i'm trying to access the fantasy sports api, i get:

Yahoo! - 999 Unable to process request at this time -- error 999

at this moment. Is this true for everyone? I'm trying to get JSON format.

9 Replies
  • I'm not sure if it's related but I've been getting lots of timeout exceptions in the past few days
    see this thread: http://developer.yahoo.net/forum/?showtopi...ly=1#entry19990

not solution so far :(but one Yahoo engineer asked if I was getting 999 errors...
  • I am also getting the 999 error. not sure what that is. the message is not very insightful.
  • i tried going to the fantasy basketball page for my league. and i see this:

Sorry, Unable to process request at this time -- error 999.

Unfortunately we are unable to process your request at this time. This error is usually temporary. Please try again later.

If you continue to experience this error, it may be caused by one of the following:

* You may want to scan your system for spyware and viruses, as they may interfere with your ability to connect to Yahoo!. For detailed information on spyware and virus protection, please visit the Yahoo! Security Center.
    * This problem may be due to unusual network activity coming from your Internet Service Provider. We recommend that you report this problem to them.

While this error is usually temporary, if it continues and the above solutions don't resolve your problem, please let us know.

Return to Yahoo!

Please try Yahoo! Help Central if you need more assistance.
  • I am using my own laptop to try and build an OAuth app using yahoo's sports api. and after reading some threads, it sounds like this 999 error is caused by yahoo thinking you are trying to do a DoS attack.

I can't even go to my fantasy basketball page because it thinks my IP is a bot.

I'm nowhere near the limit on their api service.
  • Hi Sam,
    When did your problem started to appear ?
    It was 8 days ago for mine...
  • I don't think I'd be to explain exactly why this would be happening -- as mentioned in the response page, you should make sure that nothing unexpected is running on your computer, and that your internet service provider isn't doing anything unusual. Regarding your comment about being nowhere near the limit on our API service, can you clarify exactly how you've been using the API service?
  • @Pickem, this was last night.. around.. midnight or so? right before I posted my post.

@Sean, sure. no problem. I believe I probably did WAY too many requests at once.

I pulled the roster for 7 days (monday - sunday). and for each player (14 of them) i pulled the stats for that given day as well. I can't recall if I was doing it ONLY for past players since it makes no sense to get data on future dates since there won't be any. but i could be wrong.

I was also temporarily caching past results since it makes no sense to fetch it again for that player. (is this against the terms?) I need to re-read them to make sure I don't violate any rule.

this app is only for myself and maybe 2-5 other friends for our own fantasy league. nothing that anyone else would use.

I did notice that after that happened, and I was getting the 999 error, I could not even go to the regular fantasy basketball page via my browser... showing me the 999 error as well. So I assumed the servers thought I was initiating a DoS attack.

thanks for the help Sean.
  • So, around 98 requests each time that you ran your application? That might be a bit much depending on how many times you loaded it up (especially if you were testing it out :PEDIT: Regarding caching player stats -- yeah, I can't imagine there's really a problem with that, given that it's not really private user data.
  • QUOTE (Sean Montgomery @ Oct 29 2010, 12:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

this is exactly what I wanted. i could have sworn i tried this but I may have had the wrong syntax.

thank you!

Recent Posts

in Fantasy Sports API