SORRY

I'm really sorry for my extensive absence and dereliction of duty on these forums, guys. sad.gif I don't mind as much that I took a little time off from trying to keep up with the posts here, because I was pretty busy following March Madness and quite a bit burnt out with trying to keep up with answering questions, investigating bugs, and trying to communicate suggestions and requests back and forth between you and various groups over here, but...it sort of was supposed to be "a little time off". It eventually ballooned up into a vicious cycle of thinking about checking in, and then worrying about how many posts I'd need to follow up on and how many enhancements I already have slotted into my spare time and how I still don't have any news about commercial licenses, and then realizing that only got worse the longer I waited, and so I kept putting it off. That's all very melodramatic, but the main takeaway is simple: while it's not exactly my job to patrol these forums, it is my responsibility, and I'm sorry for not living up to that.

So! What do you get in return?!

I've spent the last two days revising the Fantasy API documentation! Among the many delights you can find therein:

Next Monday, I'll hop through and try to respond to as many posts as I can that seem to be legit bugs or problems I can help with -- I might skip over some requests or questions if they've already been adequately responded to (thanks to all the people who kept posting to help other people out!) or if I can't provide much insight. I had really planned to do that today, but instead I've been putting out fires all day, I'm in the office at 10:15pm on a Friday, and I think I really need to go home. So Monday it is.

And, yeah, that's about it. Thanks to Kenny for hunting me down (on Facebook, no less! tongue.gif) and (nicely) shaming me into getting myself back in order here. I'd been struggling over it for the last couple weeks and I appreciated having that little straw to get that damn camel out of the way. Sorry again. I'll try to do better.

20 Replies
  • No apologies needed, this update makes up for it 10-fold! One problem though, the link for the matchups data is internal :)Now i just need to figure out a nice way to integrate all this new functionality into my app flow... which is nearing completion once I get some UX nailed down.
  • welcome back!

do you know if NFL Pro Pick'em will be available in the API this year??? been dying for that to be available.
  • Pinning this for a little bit just to make sure it doesn't get lost beneath all of my other recent posts.

@xsicxtransitx: Thanks, fixed the link. :)@Silky Johhson: Can't really tell yet -- all that we have right now is a very basic skeleton for pick'em webservices, and I don't know that we'll be able to launch services that would have the level of detail needed for something like you posted in that other thread in time before the season starts. :\ Given how close we are to season launch already, I'd tend to say that we most likely won't have anything nearly as full-featured as what you were looking for.
  • QUOTE (Sean Montgomery @ Jul 18 2011, 10:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Pinning this for a little bit just to make sure it doesn't get lost beneath all of my other recent posts.

@xsicxtransitx: Thanks, fixed the link. :)thanks for the update. in my prior requests, i was looking all prior years of pick'em. if the current year is available with spreads, and each team's picks. that would definitely help. let me know if thats available and how i can access it. thanks!!!
  • So good to have you back Sean! Sorry I had to resort to Facebook to find you and summon you back to these forums, ha ha.

From all the developers, I wanted to thank you for all the time you put in helping us make great fantasy sports apps. Your support has been invaluable!
  • Thanks for the updated link, I think the problem with matchups was that a few of us were trying to figure out how to get a matchup for a particular team / team-pair, but it looks like I should simply be able to call on the matchups subresource for a specific team (with the current week - assuming I want current) correct?
  • Oh here's a question, any way to post to message board yet? I'd love to add that ability.. Also, any plans for watchlist via player transactions?
  • Correct re: matchups -- the "weeks=current" option is currently broken, but the code is fixed and should be deployed by next Wednesday.

Posting to message boards is ideally on the way but I can't be too concrete about the timeline for it, since it's still being worked on. Adding watchlists is in the backlog as something I'd love to do if I have the time.
  • Quick note! I should have checked with Shane first about trades, because it turns out we had a little flag in there to only allow internal access. :P So, FYI, trades may not be accessible until around next Wednesday. However, once they're out there, they should work as described in the documentation.
  • Sounds great, thanks for all your efforts
  • Sean, I am having trouble pulling sort_week="0"  it returns ALL weeks.  the same syntax works fine for any other week number.

(sort_type="week" and sort_week="1" works fine, but not sort_type="week" and sort_week="0" )

Am I missing something?

QUOTE(Sean Montgomery @ 15 Jul 2011 10:21 PM)
    I'm really sorry for my extensive absence and dereliction of duty on these forums, guys. sad.gif I don't mind as much that I took a little time off from trying to keep up with the posts here, because I was pretty busy following March Madness and quite a bit burnt out with trying to keep up with answering questions, investigating bugs, and trying to communicate suggestions and requests back and forth between you and various groups over here, but...it sort of was supposed to be "a little time off". It eventually ballooned up into a vicious cycle of thinking about checking in, and then worrying about how many posts I'd need to follow up on and how many enhancements I already have slotted into my spare time and how I still don't have any news about commercial licenses, and then realizing that only got worse the longer I waited, and so I kept putting it off. That's all very melodramatic, but the main takeaway is simple: while it's not exactly my job to patrol these forums, it is my responsibility, and I'm sorry for not living up to that.

So! What do you get in return?!

I've spent the last two days revising the Fantasy API documentation! Among the many delights you can find therein:

Next Monday, I'll hop through and try to respond to as many posts as I can that seem to be legit bugs or problems I can help with -- I might skip over some requests or questions if they've already been adequately responded to (thanks to all the people who kept posting to help other people out!) or if I can't provide much insight. I had really planned to do that today, but instead I've been putting out fires all day, I'm in the office at 10:15pm on a Friday, and I think I really need to go home. So Monday it is.

And, yeah, that's about it. Thanks to Kenny for hunting me down (on Facebook, no less! tongue.gif) and (nicely) shaming me into getting myself back in order here. I'd been struggling over it for the last couple weeks and I appreciated having that little straw to get that damn camel out of the way. Sorry again. I'll try to do better.
  • Sean, any update on posting to the message boards?

QUOTE(Sean Montgomery @ 20 Jul 2011 8:56 PM)
    Correct re: matchups -- the "weeks=current" option is currently broken, but the code is fixed and should be deployed by next Wednesday.

Posting to message boards is ideally on the way but I can't be too concrete about the timeline for it, since it's still being worked on. Adding watchlists is in the backlog as something I'd love to do if I have the time.
  • Yes, they should be, but keep in mind the caveats listed in the documentation: you'd need to specifically be asking for "pending_trade" as the type, and you'd need to provide the team_key for whichever team you're trying to view pending trades for. Also, you'd need to make sure the user you're accessing the data with is the owner of that team. Pending trades will never show up in just a general collection of transactions.

Given that, are you still having problems accessing pending trades?
    • Sep 2, 2011
    I think I was thinking of the trading block.  That is different than pending trades I guess.  I'm more of a developer than a fantasy sports player :-)  Is there any way to query the trading block?  Also, is it possible to specify more than one team key to query all pending trades for a given league at once?

QUOTE(Sean Montgomery @ 31 Aug 2011 10:57 PM)
    Yes, they should be, but keep in mind the caveats listed in the documentation: you'd need to specifically be asking for "pending_trade" as the type, and you'd need to provide the team_key for whichever team you're trying to view pending trades for. Also, you'd need to make sure the user you're accessing the data with is the owner of that team. Pending trades will never show up in just a general collection of transactions.

Given that, are you still having problems accessing pending trades?
  • How can all the forum spam be cleaned up?

This forum is no longer usable.
  • Very spammy in here!
  • What is the GAME ID for the 2012 fantasy football (that just launched)?:
    http://developer.yahoo.com/fantasysports/guide/game-resource.html

Thanks
  • This is a shame.  Is this API dead?
  • No the API is alive and well, but the forum support for it has apparently died.  FYI, the game key for the NFL 2012 season is 273 (also to just access the current season regardless of what year it is you can use the game key "nfl").  I wish they could give someone in the community a ban hammer to start cleaning up some of these spammers.
  • Unpinning this thread, as we can't exactly live up the grand ideals offered up in the initial post. :\ The API is not dead, and we'll continue to fix legitimate bugs in it and most likely update it as we can. But all of us engineers have other projects we're working on, so maintenance and enhancements on the public APIs are fairly low on the totem pole for what we can get done, and constant support is pretty much untenable. :| Sorry to have to be so blunt about it, but I personally couldn't keep up with the grind of trying to answer all the questions in this forum while also performing my actual job, and it burnt me out -- can't ask any of the other engineers who've worked on the APIs (ie...one other guy) to do the same, and we don't have anyone else around who is actually employed to do that sort of thing. So support will almost certainly be spotty and I think we'd hope other people in the forum could help out if they can, and otherwise that would probably be about it.

I will go through and clear out the spam, though. Sorry about that. For a while I couldn't find the new admin tools when they switched over the forum software, and that's basically when most of the stuff got out of hand and I dropped off from posting.
  • Is there a way to essentially ADD multiple players at one time?

For instance, if users do an OFFLINE DRAFT a method for uploading rosters?

Thanks!

Recent Posts

in Fantasy Sports API