NFL Pick'em App

Last year I started on developing a real-time scoreboard for my NFL Pro pick'em league. Despite Yahoo still not opening the API for pick'em leagues. To get around this, anyone from our league can copy and paste the picks into a Google Spreadsheet, which the app uses in lieu of the API. A pain, but Yahoo doesn't seem to be interested in putting 2 cents into FF APIs as seen with the support levels and mountains of spam.Anyway, I wanted to share some progress with everyone, below is a link to a screenshot which you might see mid-day Sunday, with some completed games, some in progress, and some future games. It works awesome and I've even set it up for some other leagues. I wanted to post it up here to get some feedback and showcase the development.
Screenshot
http://imgur.com/MyyaG

App Features

• Shows Favored/Spread/Underdog from Yahoo
  • Includes NFL data for
    • home/away teams
    • live score
    • game time
    • ball possession, down distance, yard line
  • Totals for completed games and a live total
  • Team icons instead of team shorthand name
  • Color coded cells depending on pick status
  • Auto refresh of data every 60 seconds
  • Should work in all browsers and on cell phones

by
2 Replies
  • Cool app!  It is good to see signs of life on these forums outside of the spammers.  Could you post a link to your app so that others could give it a whirl?  I would love to not not gamble with my friends using this (double negative intended).  

Unrelated question did you run into any unexpected API lockouts during development when you were no where near the rate limits?  I only asked because it seems that all members of the Yahoo support staff were summarily executed and have been non-responsive to my questions regarding these seemingly arbitrary API rate limits.
  • I'm not using any Yahoo APIs b/c they are not exposed for Pick'em as mentioned.

Also, I'm not ready to expose the inner workings to the public just yet. There are hard coded links to our Google Spreadsheet and other info that is specific to our league. If there was an API, then I could make it generic and usable for everyone.

I'm now thinking that it might just be easier to build a site to do exactly what Yahoo Fantasy Sports does for NFL Pick'em. How hard could it be? Then I wont have to wait for Yahoo to pay some attention and finish what they started.

If anyone has any thoughts on this, or interest, let me know.

QUOTE(Dan @ 19 Jun 2012 7:22 PM)
    Cool app!  It is good to see signs of life on these forums outside of the spammers.  Could you post a link to your app so that others could give it a whirl?  I would love to not not gamble with my friends using this (double negative intended).  

Unrelated question did you run into any unexpected API lockouts during development when you were no where near the rate limits?  I only asked because it seems that all members of the Yahoo support staff were summarily executed and have been non-responsive to my questions regarding these seemingly arbitrary API rate limits.

Recent Posts

in Fantasy Sports API