Easy questions for Fantasy API Noob

I'm trying to wrap my brain around this api and yql. Before I get overloaded, I'd like to create a draft application that will allow users to see player data for all of 2010 and possibly 2009 - not their stats on a particular fantasy team. Is the fantasy api capable of this?

Also, if I only want to pull non-user data, real fantasy data, why do I have to go through the Oauth stuff? It looks like each fantasy table is User security which means to me that I have to go through all those steps documented in the Oauth guide. If this is incorrect, please let me know.

TIA

by
2 Replies
  • Anybody?

QUOTE(Dave B @ 22 Jul 2011 9:46 PM)
    I'm trying to wrap my brain around this api and yql. Before I get overloaded, I'd like to create a draft application that will allow users to see player data for all of 2010 and possibly 2009 - not their stats on a particular fantasy team. Is the fantasy api capable of this?

Also, if I only want to pull non-user data, real fantasy data, why do I have to go through the Oauth stuff? It looks like each fantasy table is User security which means to me that I have to go through all those steps documented in the Oauth guide. If this is incorrect, please let me know.

TIA
  • Damn it, I answered this a couple days ago but the forum never caught it, I guess. Thanks, new forum software. [rolleyes]

Short answer: yes, it's possible to get player stats data from 2009 and 2010. As as example, you might call something like:

http://fantasysports.yahooapis.com/fantasy/v2/game/nfl/players;player_keys=nfl.p.5228/stats;type=season;season=2009

Which would get you the 2009 season stats for Tom Brady.

Very short answer for your OAuth question: you need to go through OAuth because most of our data is personalized and therefore it makes sense to be oriented towards a system that allows for application identification and login on the behalf of users. However, you can use 2-legged OAuth for the non-user specific data if you hit the services directly (instead of going through YQL).

Recent Posts

in Fantasy Sports API