this would be a brilliant alternative for the virtual keyboard

Nobody wants to use the virtual keyboard.

A 'middle way' solution for typing could be to use the remote control as a keyboard. So 'abc' on the 1-button, 'def' on the 2-button.

I was wondering if the infrared camera in the tv could be programmed to recognize more than IR-light on / IR-light off. In that way, you could use an infrared pen (see penciil.com) to write in the air. In fact, you could even control applications by making 'minority report'-like gestures.

by
4 Replies
  • Samsung does this and I can't stand it, as I have to look down to the remote, and then back up to the TV, over and over. I prefer the 'virtual keyboard' that Yahoo uses over that approach. Upcoming ITV solutions, like the Android/Logitech system, will have keyboards built into the remotes, so virtual keyboard will not be an issue.
  • VIZIO already has a bluetooth based QWERTY keyboard built into their remotes.
  • If you own a Samsung TV and have an iOS device (aka an iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch), I recommend you go get the free Samsung TV Remote application in the App Store. It allows you to use your iOS device to control your TV over your wifi network.

Here's some screenshots of the application running on an iPad:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeremyjohnsto...57624314414100/

-Jeremy
  • QUOTE (Jeremy Johnstone @ Jun 29 2010, 05:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    If you own a Samsung TV and have an iOS device (aka an iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch), I recommend you go get the free Samsung TV Remote application in the App Store. It allows you to use your iOS device to control your TV over your wifi network.

Here's some screenshots of the application running on an iPad:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeremyjohnsto...57624314414100/

-Jeremy

What about interfacing a full size blue tooth enabled keyboard to your TV? Ss that a possibility?
    (I really know nothing about blue tooth).....

I really hate the smallness of the Vizio keyboard as my eyesite is not as good as it used to be and I have
    large fingers so I have to look at the keyboard rather than normal typing....

Ray

Recent Posts

in Design / Interaction - Yahoo! TV Widgets