customizing buttons and other navigation controls

Sorry this is a lame/newbie question - have skimmed through boards and didn't see this discussion/answer. .. . .

My questions are:
--> Can I customize the look and feel of buttons? For example, can we modify the color and/or glassiness of the buttons?
--> Can different styles be used for other navigational controls? For example, instead of the standard < 0000 > (arrows and circles) used in carousel style control, can we implement a control that uses different arrows, etc?

Thanks for the help.

Phil

by
6 Replies
  • QUOTE (Phillip @ Mar 22 2010, 04:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Sorry this is a lame/newbie question - have skimmed through boards and didn't see this discussion/answer. .. . .

My questions are:
    --> Can I customize the look and feel of buttons? For example, can we modify the color and/or glassiness of the buttons?
    --> Can different styles be used for other navigational controls? For example, instead of the standard < 0000 > (arrows and circles) used in carousel style control, can we implement a control that uses different arrows, etc?

Thanks for the help.

Phil

Hello Philip I have the same issue, if you could customize the color of a button please share the solution!!! But if not here is my reinforcement to this post!
  • Generally speaking we try to maintain a fairly consistent look and feel across the widgets as far as buttons go, but there are definitely avenues which you can use to customize the appearance. To change the color of a button, all you would need to do is set a backgroundColor in the styles property. As far as glassy appearance goes, this is handled by a semi-transparent png. Take a look inside the Themes/ folder in the Framework and you can get ideas on how to customize that.

Enjoy!

-Jeremy
  • Sorry to dig this thread but i'm having a similar problem, and i can't find the Themes folder mentioned.
    I just wanted to change the background image of a pageindicator control since it's not showing good when using it in fullscreenview, the grey tophalf bar stops at the lenght of a sidebarview and i wanted to change it so the backgound is all the same for the whole lenght of the indicator, is there a way or the theme for a control method is impossibile to change and we can set them only for element methods?
    Using a backgroundcolor is not working since the color just stays over the theme and is displayed semi transparent
  • This will always be a problem in fullscreen with assets wider than the sidebar using the current Controls classes. The current Controls.Button class extensions stop all assets width at the 960x540 resolutions sidebar width.

You might be better served creating your own object/class and extending it from the KONtx.controls.Button class. You can then add your own design assets in the class without the issues you are seeing.

Let us know if you would like an example. :D
  • I basically understood what i need to do, and looked at the .js file for the function the pageindicator uses, but do i need to recreate all of them for having a custom pageindicator to work? Also what events do i need to subscribe for having the pageindicator function properly with the pager?
    If you can i think an example will be a great help ^^
  • QUOTE (Gades @ Oct 20 2010, 10:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    I basically understood what i need to do, and looked at the .js file for the function the pageindicator uses, but do i need to recreate all of them for having a custom pageindicator to work? Also what events do i need to subscribe for having the pageindicator function properly with the pager?
    If you can i think an example will be a great help ^^

Sort answer is yes recreate what you need in your source.

If you use the Y! Source it will take care of setup all the events for you.

Recent Posts

in Design / Interaction - Yahoo! TV Widgets