Multiple Web Service Calls

We are building a widget that retrieves data dynamically from web services. This data is displayed on the snippet, sidebar and full screen. In this case, will there be any issue of Yahoo rejecting the widget if there is multiple web service calls made simultaneously? Also, can we keep calling the web service methods after certain time period using the setInterval method? If this is allowed, what would be the minimum time interval allowed?

by
2 Replies
  • QUOTE (Icarus @ Feb 26 2010, 01:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    We are building a widget that retrieves data dynamically from web services. This data is displayed on the snippet, sidebar and full screen. In this case, will there be any issue of Yahoo rejecting the widget if there is multiple web service calls made simultaneously? Also, can we keep calling the web service methods after certain time period using the setInterval method? If this is allowed, what would be the minimum time interval allowed?

I asked a similar question a while back. I may be corrected, but I believe the minimum interval varies per widget, and based on what you are doing, but should be no more than every minute or two. This is more for the effect it has on the user experience. When a request is being made and processed, the user cannot navigate the GUI, so it is best if you limit your request, and potentially even bundle them into one call if possible.
  • If I remember correctly, anything more than a 60 second interval is grounds for rejection and even that is very touch and go based on the information you are calling.

Recent Posts

in Design / Interaction - Yahoo! TV Widgets