Acceptance Criteria 540 and 1080 Assets

What does the following point in the Acceptance Criteria mean?
The widget designed for 960x540 resolution should not include 1920x1080 resolution assets. A separate widget identifier per resolution is required.

Do I have to create two widgets for one application, just because of 3 different images? Isn't possible to solve it like the other Yahoo Apps in the WDK, like Finance, where two folder with these differing images are safed?

Jonas

by
10 Replies
  • I believe this has not been updated in the WDK. You should be able to publish one widget for both platforms.
  • QUOTE (WidgetRealm @ Jul 16 2009, 05:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    I believe this has not been updated in the WDK. You should be able to publish one widget for both platforms.

Is this for sure, or do you just believe it. I would like to have a proof or an official confirmation before i submit the app.
  • Yes. You do have to create two separate widgets mainly because of how the gallery backend is architected. You can use the same widget code for both, but as long as the widget ID is different, you should be fine.
  • Speaking of acceptance criteria, has it moved? When I last updated my framework, I can no longer find the criteria in my wdk documentation. Anyone care to share theirs? t.knapton@yahoo.com

Cheers.
  • Also, for anyone who runs into the issue of not knowing where the acceptance criteria is: It's in the WDK documentation folder (/usr/share/WDK/doc). After it had become its own separate document in that folder, I was clueless. I just knew that it wasn't in the document that I moved to my desktop :l
  • QUOTE (Roger U @ Jul 27 2009, 06:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Yes. You do have to create two separate widgets mainly because of how the gallery backend is architected. You can use the same widget code for both, but as long as the widget ID is different, you should be fine.

But the NewsTV-Example-Widget shows how to create one Widget for 2 Sizes. I am using that technique right now. Should I create 2 Packages for the Widget and remove the assets for the other resolution? Is the technique that the NewsTV-Example uses okay for you?
  • QUOTE (putpat@... @ Jul 28 2009, 09:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    But the NewsTV-Example-Widget shows how to create one Widget for 2 Sizes. I am using that technique right now. Should I create 2 Packages for the Widget and remove the assets for the other resolution? Is the technique that the NewsTV-Example uses okay for you?

We have a build time process which removes the extra assets before we add it to the gallery. You should be doing the same. Otherwise, yes, the example it gives is an accepted best practice.

-Jeremy
  • I created a small ruby script which will package for the two supported sizes. For each size it will remove any directory named after the wrong size, and files named after the wrong size. You can also pass in an ignore file which has a list of assets to remove before zipping the file.

It will read the widget.xml file as well to get the right widget name.

Run packager.rb -h to get the list of options.

Widget Packager

Its AS IS software but you can create issues on the github page.
  • QUOTE (Mike @ Jul 29 2009, 10:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    I created a small ruby script which will package for the two supported sizes. For each size it will remove any directory named after the wrong size, and files named after the wrong size. You can also pass in an ignore file which has a list of assets to remove before zipping the file.

<snip>

Its AS IS software but you can create issues on the github page.

Thanks for sharing!

-Jeremy
  • oh just a bit of other info, I kind of have everything documented but I'm likely missing a few things.

this will create a directory called "packager_output" in the directory its run from, in there will be two directories one for each size with the resulting widget. You can keep this file in your widget directory - it will remove itself from the packaged output.

This likely won't work on windows but it works fine on OS X and on my Ubuntu VM. It copies everything to the /tmp dir then cleans up the files before zipping (it then removes the tmp dir to tidy up).

Recent Posts

in Design / Interaction - Yahoo! TV Widgets