contacts "401 Oauth signature_invalid realm yahooapis.com"

Hello, I have been integrating with yahoo social contacts API. At first the service was working fine, but then some 500s started appearing, and then some 401s. The workaround has been to retry and that usually worked ok.

However, since yesterday there has been a persistent 401 response to all contacts calls {"error":{"lang":"en-US","description":"Please provide valid credentials. OAuth oauth_problem=\"signature_invalid\", realm=\"yahooapis.com\""}}

I have double checked that the issue is not a basic signing error by also trying with a reference implementation. (because the service was working this is not likely) The code wasn't changed.

Has something changed and is there a way to work around or upgrade signing method to accommodate this change??? If you have anything to add I would be grateful to hear from you..Many Thanks.

17 Replies
  • We are seeing the same problem, our code did not change.

• Agree with jochen and Neil, we are seeing the same issues here are well. It is possible some unannounced change has been implemented?

• Same problem here. Started a similar thread: http://developer.yahoo.com/forum/OAuth-General-Discussion-YDN-SDKs/signature-invalid-when-making-calls-to-the/1385735171123-8a38d8cf-815b-43ac-9d77-5bd2f2f60796

Seems like the problem's related to Yahoo. I wonder how long it will take before they resolve it. It's weird that such a big company is letting issues of this sort persist for so long. It's also weird that they still do not support OAuth 2.0 like anyone else.

@Yahoo guys, please respond!

• I'm seeing the same problem here. My application was initially throwing intermittent 500 errors but a retry usually got around that, however, since at least November 27th has been throwing consistent 401 Invalid Signature. The code hasn't changed and after an extensive debugging trawl, the code is fine - the function generating the OAuth Signature is working fine when getting the Access Token, so it shouldn't be an invalid signature when making the request against the Social API endpoint.

It would be nice if this could be resolved quickly. It's at least a week since the 401s became constant.

• Hi friends ,

I was also this issue from yesterday , I am getting something like ,

Please provide valid credentials. OAuth oauth_problem="signature_invalid", realm="yahooapis.com".

It was working fine before..

• The Oauth problem seems to be fixed. Now there are mostly 500s being returned from the contacts service. Only occasionally does the service respond as expected.

• Same here, we now see 500 errors.

• Hi guys,

Same problem happens also on our side, since Monday morning on EU cluster get only 500 error's. With US cluster at this moment have not experienced above problems.

Can someone tell me if the problem you have relates only to EU also ?

• Interesting, I am working from the EU.

• Do anyone know about an official information related to this topic and maybe an ETA ?

• How can we switch to the US cluster? We'd like to switch to US until these issues are resolved on the EU cluster.

• I have checked the contacts API today. Delete call always fails for me with 500 INKApi Error. Other calls seem to be working ok. See here for example of failure

DELETE /v1/user/blablablabla/contact/16782434?format=json HTTP/1.1 Authorization: OAuth oauth_token="blabla", oauth_consumer_key="blablabla", oauth_version="1.0", oauth_signature_method="HMAC-SHA1", oauth_timestamp="1386927673", oauth_nonce="-3333288920048791392", oauth_signature="YIElKNwUTKIztjn4pd1UF9wMBBc%3D" Host: social.yahooapis.com Accept-Encoding: gzip, deflate User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0(SymbianOS/9.2; U;Series60/3.1 NokiaN95/1.39.044; Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1;)AppleWebKit/413(KHTML,like Gecko)Safari/413 Connection: Close

HTTP/1.1 500 INKApi Error Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2013 09:41:13 GMT Connection: close Via: http/1.1 r03.ycpi.ams.yahoo.net (ApacheTrafficServer/4.0.2 [c s f ]) Server: ATS/4.0.2 Content-Length: 0

• Hi guys

I'm trying to integrate yahoo messenger in my web application of ASP.NET MVC4. Can any body share C# code on how to get request token and access token using Oauth ,user data from yahoo messenger api .how can i achieve all these on development environment.

Thanks in advance

• This issue has been resolved. Please report to the forum if you continue to experience this.

• We are still seeing this error: "ContactAPIAddressBookClientException viewer: SUTKEVTNJ3OWSSIX6DP77WQHF4 ab_client errorcode: -17011 errormsg: client connection error"

• Just to update that we are still occasionally seeing the same 500 error: "ContactAPIAddressBookClientException"

Any idea how we can solve this?

• @Jochen - I can also confirm that the 401s are resolved but we continue to see occasional 500s being thrown from the final API call (approx 5-10% of attempts). The OAuth calls seem to work fine up until that point. I don't believe there's anything we can do to resolve this as a 500 suggests that it's a problem on Yahoo's side.

Recent Posts

in Contacts