How to Get "API Key" for local dev environment

Hi,

My Objective: For a given username/password read all the contacts (full name, email addresses etc properties) from c# web application.
Issue: I'm trying to use 'Contact API' and for that I've to use oAth crap. I need a 'API Key', since I'm doing dev on my machine so the domain is 'localhost' and the yahoo process fails to verify my domain.

My question is how in the world do i get a dam key to move fwd as i'm really frustrated at this point.

Thanks a ton for your help in advance!!!

p.s. if you know of a better approach to read yahoo contacts from .net web app, please do share.

by
4 Replies
  • Hi

I have faced a similar problem

The solution is to install your web server (iis or apache or what ever it is) and then go and create a domain name(you will get a subdomain to be exact something like vamsi.sytes.net) for free at sites such as http://www.no-ip.com/.com and install the client application given by them.
    Remember to use the add host link in this site, don't use add domain site unless you want to pay some money for domain registration

This client application deals with all the dns stuff on your system for your domain.Now that you have a domain name you can easily complete the domain verification and get the API key.

If you want more info on all the dns, and no-ip stuff just search the web for hosting a web site on a dynamic ip, i suggest you use this even though you may have a static ip because you won't have to deal with all that configurations and stuff.

Hope this helps. Thank you

QUOTE (sherry_yar24 @ Aug 4 2010, 12:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Hi,

My Objective: For a given username/password read all the contacts (full name, email addresses etc properties) from c# web application.
    Issue: I'm trying to use 'Contact API' and for that I've to use oAth crap. I need a 'API Key', since I'm doing dev on my machine so the domain is 'localhost' and the yahoo process fails to verify my domain.

My question is how in the world do i get a dam key to move fwd as i'm really frustrated at this point.

Thanks a ton for your help in advance!!!

p.s. if you know of a better approach to read yahoo contacts from .net web app, please do share.
  • Hello,

Desktop keys do not require a domain name. When you're on the create key page for a new application (https://developer.apps.yahoo.com/dashboard/createKey.html) Simply choose "Client/Desktop" from the Kind of Application drop down.
  • dsds

• nstall the Gem using RubyGems:

sudo gem install localtunnel

Start localtunnel passing your public SSH key and the port where your application is running:

localtunnel -k ~/.ssh/id_rsa.pub 3000

Check the output to see something like

Port 3000 is now publicly accessible from http://8bv2.localtunnel.com ...

The printed Url is the one you can now use to access your application.

Recent Posts

in Contacts