Can sites be styled?

Hi,

I'm interested in developing mobile sites using Blueprint, but I'm becoming increasingly wary as I'm over halfway through the development guide and nothing beyond simple color changes/font size has been mentioned with regards to creating unique styles. From looking at the examples it seems as though they all look fairly cookie cutter, but I feel like I'm missing something because I can't believe Yahoo would release a framework that would only output one or two templates. I'm wondering if I should continue learning this if I will not be able to create unique styles for my clients. Is there any css support at least? Any feedback is greatly appreciated. Thanks so much.

Brendan

by
7 Replies
  • Hi Brendan,
    We definitely understand the concern and we've gradually been making changes to support more customization. We're still in the process of revising our documentation, so it doesn't yet reflect these changes, but there are some customizations that are available for you to use right now.

We have been implementing these latest improvements in our own properties at Yahoo. For instance, you will notice that the main mobile frontpage (m.yahoo.com) looks very different than the sports page, which uses a different theme (m.yahoo.com/w/ysportshome). If you look at the raw Blueprint for the sports page (m.yahoo.com/w-raw/ysportshome) you can see the reason why:

<page style="collection" theme="sports" >

We realize it would be nice to be able to create your own theme, but at this point we do not support this capability. However, you are free to use the following page themes:

black
    black-plastic
    sports
    sports-green
    purple
    blue-plastic
    deep-blue
    burlap
    steel
    green-apple
    moss
    light-blue
    engine-red
    lip-gloss
    banana-slug
    wood
    heavy-metal
    rainforest
    golf
    sleigh
    raindrop
    brown
    green
    blue
    leaf
    marble
    sports-red
    sports-brown
    fantasy-football
    winter-olympics
    march-madness
    f1

-David

QUOTE (Brendan @ Mar 24 2010, 10:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Hi,

I'm interested in developing mobile sites using Blueprint, but I'm becoming increasingly wary as I'm over halfway through the development guide and nothing beyond simple color changes/font size has been mentioned with regards to creating unique styles. From looking at the examples it seems as though they all look fairly cookie cutter, but I feel like I'm missing something because I can't believe Yahoo would release a framework that would only output one or two templates. I'm wondering if I should continue learning this if I will not be able to create unique styles for my clients. Is there any css support at least? Any feedback is greatly appreciated. Thanks so much.

Brendan
  • Looking at the xml of m.yahoo.com/w-raw/ysportshome, I noticed new undocumented elements such as tabs,tab,tab-content and system-title.
    This indicates that here is another schema in use, perhaps the-soon-to-be-released 1.2 ? .
    If this is not (yet) the case, can we use these elements in our projects as well?

^ Ernest

QUOTE (David @ Mar 26 2010, 04:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Hi Brendan,
    We definitely understand the concern and we've gradually been making changes to support more customization. We're still in the process of revising our documentation, so it doesn't yet reflect these changes, but there are some customizations that are available for you to use right now.

We have been implementing these latest improvements in our own properties at Yahoo. For instance, you will notice that the main mobile frontpage (m.yahoo.com) looks very different than the sports page, which uses a different theme (m.yahoo.com/w/ysportshome). If you look at the raw Blueprint for the sports page (m.yahoo.com/w-raw/ysportshome) you can see the reason why:

We realize it would be nice to be able to create your own theme, but at this point we do not support this capability. However, you are free to use the following page themes:

-David
  • QUOTE (ernest.micklei @ Apr 7 2010, 03:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Looking at the xml of m.yahoo.com/w-raw/ysportshome, I noticed new undocumented elements such as tabs,tab,tab-content and system-title.
    This indicates that here is another schema in use, perhaps the-soon-to-be-released 1.2 ? .
    If this is not (yet) the case, can we use these elements in our projects as well?

^ Ernest

We still are preparing the next release of blueprint but we don't have a date for it yet. These elements should work for you, but beware that because they aren't in the documentation, they aren't officially supported.
  • QUOTE (David @ Mar 26 2010, 04:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Hi Brendan,

black
    black-plastic
    sports
    sports-green
    purple
    blue-plastic
    deep-blue
    burlap
    steel
    green-apple
    moss
    light-blue
    engine-red
    lip-gloss
    banana-slug
    wood
    heavy-metal
    rainforest
    golf
    sleigh
    raindrop
    brown
    green
    blue
    leaf
    marble
    sports-red
    sports-brown
    fantasy-football
    winter-olympics
    march-madness
    f1

-David

Do you have any documentation for the themes that are available and the styles in them???
  • QUOTE (Ratnadeep @ May 16 2010, 11:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Do you have any documentation for the themes that are available and the styles in them???

Not yet, we're working on updating the documentation.

Basically, these themes only change ONE thing on the page: the image displayed in the background of the header for Hero and A grade devices. Themes are not supported on B-F devices.

A simple way to preview the theme is to add .page_theme=mytheme to the url, for instance: http://m.yahoo.com/?.page_theme=f1
  • can i change the them for the blocks or palcard also or only the page ?
  • QUOTE (Firas @ Jul 19 2010, 01:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    can i change the them for the blocks or palcard also or only the page ?

Page theme is on a page level and only changes the page header background color.
This forum is locked.

Recent Posts

in Blueprint General Discussion