Analytics FAQ for Flurry¶
- How is Flurry different from other analytics solutions?
- I don’t understand how you define or calculate one of your metrics. How can I get more information on this?
- Why are my New Users different than the Downloads reported from iTunes?
- Can you provide information on jailbroken or pirated devices?
- What happens if a user uses my application while they are offline? Will you still get that data?
- Can I tell if a customer deletes my application from their phone?
- What is an API key? Where do I find my app’s API key within the Flurry portal?
- Does Flurry offer any APIs? How do I access them? And what is my app’s API access code?
- How much does Flurry Analytics cost?
- I’ve looked through all the relevant areas of the Support Center and read the FAQ, but I still have questions.
How is Flurry different from other analytics solutions?¶
At a high level, Flurry Analytics is differentiated by the size and scale of the data we collect, the fact that our solution is built and optimized for mobile (not for web), and by the ease of implementation of our free SDK.
Here are some of the specific metrics and features that we believe make Flurry Analytics a unique solution:
- Crash Analytics: Flurry offers crash and error analysis as part of the Flurry Analytics solution. You can delve into crashes by device type, app version, firmware, etc. down to the stack trace level.
- Demographic estimates: Flurry provides accurate estimates of your users’ age and gender. You can use this to segment your users and understand the in-app activity of each group to optimize your app.
- Benchmark data: You can view category-level benchmarks to understand how your app is performing compared to peers.
- User Acquisition Analytics: You can monitor user acquisition efforts and measure the performance of specific campaigns or marketing channels. Flurry UAA is built on top of Flurry Analytics which means that you can deeply analyze acquired cohorts.
- Full Flurry Suite: The Flurry SDK includes not just Flurry Analytics but also our advertising and ad monetization solutions. The deep link between our products enables us to be an end-to-end partner for your mobile business
- Flurry Pulse
- Flurry Explorer
- Cost: Flurry Analytics is completely free, with no data limits
- Implementation: Get started in 5 minutes with 2 lines of code to access all usage metrics, demographic info and User Acquisition Analytics. Advanced implementations with Event tagging takes days, not weeks or months
I don’t understand how you define or calculate one of your metrics. How can I get more information on this?¶
Please see Metrics Overview for further details on all of the metrics and data we provide.
Why are my New Users different than the Downloads reported from iTunes?¶
Flurry counts New Users according to the first time an application has been run on a given device. There are several reasons this value can be different than iTunes downloads numbers, including:
- Users may download the app, but not run it.
- Users may download the app, but run it on a different day. (Flurry counts days by US Pacific time, Apple’s varies by region)
- Users may download the app, but only run it when they don’t have network access.
- Users with jailbroken phones may get the app from a different source, then run it. (For example, a pirated copy of an app)
- Users with jailbroken phones may have analytics disabled.
- Users may download the app once, but run it on multiple devices. (For example, if they get a new phone, but link it with an existing iTunes account)
- Users may download the app mutliple times, but run it on the same device. (For example, if a phone gets linked to a different iTunes account)
- If multiple apps use the same API key, counts for both will be reported together, thus showing a higher number than either of the apps alone.
Can you provide information on jailbroken or pirated devices?¶
No, we do not collect or report on this information.
What happens if a user uses my application while they are offline? Will you still get that data?¶
Yes, Flurry will receive a user’s offline session information the next time they open the application and are online. At the point, they will transmit that information to us. The data will be stored locally on the user’s device until it is sent to us.
Flurry will update metrics with this new session information. This is a key reason why you will see historical numbers fluctuate.
Can I tell if a customer deletes my application from their phone?¶
No, Flurry does not track when a user deletes your application. We receive data based on sessions so we have no way of knowing if an application is deleted or is simply not being used.
What is an API key? Where do I find my app’s API key within the Flurry portal?¶
An API key is a unique ID generated when a project is created in the Flurry portal. Including the app’s API key during the SDK integration process is necessary for Flurry to receive data.
An app’s API key can also be found under the Manage menu in the left-hand navigation in the app’s analytics.
Does Flurry offer any APIs? How do I access them? And what is my app’s API access code?¶
Flurry offers a number of APIs. Information about what they are and how to access them can be found here: APIs
An account administrator must enable API access using the steps in the above link. One enabled, the app’s API access code can be found by selecting “Manage” at the top of the page within the Flurry portal and scrolling to the bottom of the subsequent page.
How much does Flurry Analytics cost?¶
There is no charge for Flurry Analytics.
Was this document helpful?