Interest Categories segments are constructed by interpreting user activities across desktop and mobile devices, including search queries, search clicks, page clicks and ad clicks.
Interest Category User Types¶
Building a composite audience using Interest Categories lets you reach the following categories of users:
- Search - people who have recently used Yahoo Search to search for keywords that are relevant for your business.
- Mobile App - people who install and use over 1M Yahoo and third-party mobile apps, as captured by Flurry Analytics. Or use the DSP Mobile Interest taxonomies that contain 31 audience categories, ranging from “Auto & Vehicle” to “Shopping” and more.
- Content - people who have demonstrated specific interests as they browse pages on Yahoo sites such as Yahoo News, Yahoo Sports, and Yahoo Finance, and many third-party sites.
- Purchases - people who receive purchase confirmation emails in their Yahoo Mail inbox for individual products, airline bookings, hotel reservations, and more.
- Ads - people who click billions of Native and Search and DSP ads that are similar to yours.
You can select from many different categories—including entertainment, sports, hobbies, food and drink, and many more—and DSP will show ads to people who are likely to be interested.
For example, if you are a reseller that specializes in triathlon gear, you can target segments from multiple categories and reach tens of millions of users:
- Fitness and wellness: physical exercise, physical fitness, and Running segments
- Sport: Marathons and Triathlons segments
Given your advertising goals, and the stage of the purchase process your customers are in, you can customize your composite audience for optimal customer engagement by showing your ads to highly interested users, or users that have a history of purchasing products or services similar to yours.
Gauge Audience Reach¶
When you create a composite audience using Interest Categories, and target that audience at the line level. Use the forecasting tool at the top of the Targeting tab to monitor changes in overall impressions, unique users, and price points as you adjust targeting parameters.
Check out the following related help pages for composite audiences, targeting and forecasting: