Point of Interest Location Audiences¶
Point of Interest (POI) Location audiences enable advertisers to target customers who have (or have not) been near one or more specified points of interest, a given number of times, within a specified period.
- Proximity is based on the customer having been within 100m
- Number of visits defaults to 1, but can be set by the advertiser (e.g., a higher value would target more frequent visitors)
- Lookback window defaults to 30 days, but can be increased (see note below).
Points of interest may be store locations for a particular retailer, stadium locations for specific sports or leagues, particular airports, universities, parks, and so forth. You build your audience by selecting one or more segments to include and adjusting the number of visits and/or lookback window. As you make changes , the estimated size of the audience updates automatically.
For retail chains, user data is available for 180 days. For venues, user data is available for 2 years. For any future Custom date, size is calculated when we reach that date. Until then, size will be 0.
Additionally, advertisers can upload their own POI data to create a custom POI audience as described below in upload-your-own-poi-data. Business addresses can be added to the platform using a straightforward CSV template (available for download on the Audience > POI Location page).
After you create a POI location audience, you can use lookalike modeling to expand your audience. For details, check out Lookalike Audiences.
POI Location audiences are currently limited to U.S. businesses, Canadian businesses, and select European soccer stadiums.
Build a POI Audience¶
To create a POI audience:
- Navigate to Advertisers and select the advertiser for whom you want to create the audience.
- Navigate to Audiences > Audience Builder > POI Audience. The left panel shows the hierarchy of available segments, while the right panel shows your current selection in one of three views (Map View, Selected POIs, or Business Listings, all described below):
- In the top panel, specify an audience name, number of times the customer should have visited the location within the lookback period, and the length of the lookback period. (By default, audiences look for 1 visit within the last 30 days):
- Select segments you want to include in the audience by clicking the “+” sign next to the segment. (Choosing a parent segment includes all children below it):
- Verify your selections in the right panel. In the Map View (selected by default), targets near each other grouped together. However, you can click the “+” or “-” sign in the lower right corner of the map to zoom in and see just where each point is:
- You can find the location for a specific POI in Map View by entering part of its name in the filter:
- Select segments you want to exclude by clicking the slash/circle sign next to the segment in the left panel. (Choosing a parent segment excludes all children below it). Excluded segments are listed below the included segments:
- From the Country drop-down list, select the country in which you want to target the points of interest.
- If you want to expand your audience to include individuals who live or work near the specified POIs, mark the checkbox below the taxonomy:
In general, if you mark this checkbox, you’ll see a significant increase in the estimated size of the audience (shown above the map). The homes & businesses are in the same ZIP code as the POI, and are calculated based on a user’s presence at a home or work address (based on IP address, in conjunction with time and frequency that a given user is present on those IPs over the previous 90 days).
- Select Business Listings to view more detailed information for selected segments. For example, if you target a retail chain, you can drill down in this view to see the locations of individual retail locations:
To remove a previously selected segment, choose the minus sign (“-“) next to the segment in the left panel, or the trashcan icon next to the selected segment in the right panel.
- Select [Build Audience] to create the audience and make it available for targeting as described in Audience.
Defining a Custom Date Range¶
If needed, you can define a custom date range for a segment. These date ranges can be discontiguous (e.g., if you want to include or exclude users who were near a POI when a certain promotion or event was going on). To define a custom date range for your audience:
Choose [Custom] from the lookback window pulldown.
Enter a start and end date for the date range.
Use the “+” and “-” controls to the right of the date range to add other ranges.
Upload Your Own POI Data¶
Advertisers can upload their own POI listings data to the DSP and reach audiences who have visited their target POIs. Uploaded addresses are verified using DSP’s own matching algorithms before they are made available for targeting.
These “custom” POI audiences are available at the advertiser-specific level only.
To build your own custom POI audience:
- Navigate to Advertiser > Audience Builder > POI Location.
- Select the [Custom Point of Interests] radio button.
- Select the [Download CSV Template] download link.
- Edit the template, entering the addresses you would like to include in the audience.
- Upload the .csv file by clicking on the [Choose a file to upload] button.
- Select the appropriate values in the [Number of Visits] and [In the Past] drop-down menu to adjust frequency and the lookback window of visits, respectively.
- Click on [Build Audience] to save.
- POI retargeting only works for business addresses (not for residential addresses).
- For addresses that we cannot match, we won’t be able to reach users who have visited those POIs due to privacy concerns.
- Custom POI is currently available for U.S. POI listings only.
- Once created, the audience takes some time to score, as indicated in the user interface. Unlike other audience types, Custom POI has a different scoring process. Addresses that advertisers upload are matched with the addresses that we have and the matching process includes complex algorithms to ensure that as many addresses can be matched as is possible.
Edit a POI Audience¶
To modify a previously created POI audience:
- Navigate to Audiences and select a POI Location audience.
- In the Audience Builder, make any changes to the audience.
- Choose [Update Audience] to save your changes.