You can build an unlimited number of unique audience segments for each pixel rule based on the frequency and recency controls. Building audience segments for your pixel rules allows you to vary your targeting strategy depending on the users who visit your site. For example, you can set up different segments for new visitors vs. previous visitors (since recent visitors are more likely to convert than visitors from, say, 90 days ago).
After you create pixel audience segments, you see your segments on the Audiences page (see Audiences). To target pixel audience segments at the line level, navigate to the Audiences area of the Targeting page. Check out the help section for targeting Audience.
You set up segments on the New Rule page, as part of creating a new rule (see Create and Manage Rules).
On the New Rule page, in the Audience Segments area, you see the default segment with a frequency of 1 and a recency of 90 days. Feel free to modify or deletr this segment, or leave it as is and create additional segments.
To create additional audience segments:
- On the New Rule page, in the Audience Segments area, click the plus sign next to Add Segment to add a new segment.
You see a row for your new segment.
- In the Frequency field, type a number (1-5) to set the audience frequency. The audience frequency sets how many times a visitor needs to have performed the rule action to be associated with the audience within the assigned recency period.
- In the Per Period of field and recency type drop-down list, set the recency for the audience. The recency settings determine how recent a visitor needs to have performed the rule action to be associated with the audience. The recency setting is also known as a “lookback window”, “expiry” or “retention” period. Configure the recency settings as follows:
- Per Period of (Recency): Up to 730 days or 17,280 hours (2 years)
- Set the recency type using the Day/Hour drop-down list
- Repeat steps 1-3 for any additional segments you want to add.