BOSS API is an updated service that provides RESTful access to Web, Image, News, and Spelling with a simple pricing scheme based on usage. The service also provides qualifying developers access to Yahoo Search Advertising.
Web search and Image search results are provided by Microsoft Coporation through the Yahoo and Microsoft Search Alliance.
BOSS API is the next step in the BOSS product evolution. Yahoo has retained the best features from the original BOSS release and added some new features to enhance the build your own search service experience.
- RESTful API for Web, Image and News with support for XML and JSON
- Flexibility to blend and re-rank results
- Required Yahoo brand attribution
- oAuth Authentication
- Self-serve with credit card authentication at sign-up
- Single call for Algorithmic and Advertising results
- Access to Yahoo specific structured content in web results (where available)
- Simple usage based pricing based on type of query
- Revenue sharing if developers qualify for Yahoo Search Advertising
- Multiple pricing options for web based results
- Dashboard interface for customers to download usage and check billing, revenue, etc.
Yahoo BOSS is a self-serve product. If you already have experience with Yahoo BOSS, you can use the steps below to jump ahead and get your Yahoo BOSS key and API’s to setup your new Yahoo BOSS API services. If you are a first time user of Yahoo BOSS it is recommended that you read the detailed documentation about the new features of Yahoo BOSS.
- Go to Create Key to start your Boss API setup process.
- Continue and get your Yahoo BOSS API key (security) and validation information, then enter the BOSS information page.
- Read the pricing plans, select and enter your payment information and check your details in the payment confirmation page. A Yahoo BOSS Billing email will be sent to the email address you entered on the sign-up page when the billing cycle is complete.
- Select if you want advertisements with your search results. You will be contacted for more details when you are qualified for advertising.
- Welcome to the Yahoo BOSS Dashboard page.
- Read the technical documentation here. This should give you information on oAuth, accessing the API and working with the data.
The BOSS App ID is different from the standard Web services developer App ID. Please select the BOSS check box during sign up.
Who Should Read This Document¶
This documentation is intended for programmers developing applications to access Yahoo content and search infrastructure. The documentation assumes an understanding of HTTP, HTTPS, XML, JSON, and a cursory knowledge of query languages.
The following contacts are presented here for your use if you have any questions relating to BOSS API or its features and functions.
BOSS developers are encouraged to sign up for the BOSS Yahoo Group, a good place to share ideas with the BOSS developer community.
For account related issues, ideas or suggestions please use the form at http://fe.boss.yahoo.com/support.php