Earlier this week, the Yahoo! Connected TV team released an updated Widget Developer Kit (WDK) now available for download. This release supports two different virtual machine emulation environments on both Windows and OSX, and a pre-configured VM for both environments! You can download and install the new Yahoo! Widget Developer Kit, version 1.2.15 or learn more about it at an online developer event on March 24.
Here's a quick look at some of the new features:
- Pre-configured Ubuntu Virtual Machine (VM), with support for both VMware and VirtualBox on PCs and Macs!
- Based on the most recent Yahoo! Widget Engine version 5.6 deployed on consumer TVs.
- Includes a new simulation mode for Toshiba TVs- adding to existing Samsung, LG, and VIZIO platforms.
- New Media player based on OpenGL for better compatibility with a wider range of host development environments.
In January, the Yahoo! Connected TV team made news at CES (the Consumer Electronics Show) with announcements of Broadcast Interactivity, Device Control and the Yahoo! Connected TV Store. Beyond these monetization announcements for the Yahoo! Connected TV platform, we wanted to share a few more updates with the developer community.
You can hear directly from Connected TV product and engineering team members on March 24, 2011, at the first ever Yahoo! Connected TV Online Event. Please RSVP on our Facebook page: http://on.fb.me/f6ub50. Some of the topics we'll cover include:
- Widget Developer Kit Update
- Yahoo! Connected TV Store
- Broadcast Interactivity
- Device Control
- What’s next for 2011 and beyond
- Developer Q&A Session – Submit your questions before the event at http://svy.mk/yctvQandA
Look forward to meeting up with you online.