As many students already know, we hosted HackU at 9 universities last year. What many don't know, is that we flew all the winners to New York, and put them up in a swanky hotel to compete in the New York Open Hack Day.
And the results completely blew us away.
Over 1/2 of the winners were HackU students. Over half!
Among the 44 hacks submitted, there were 11 winners, and 6 were student hack teams!! The judges didn't know which submissions were from whom, and these student hacks stood out on their own merit.
I'd like to congratulate the 6 student groups that won :
- Waterloo - Best Overall InsiderTrade.org : You can sign up for instant alerts about insider trades for the various stocks you follow. Its live try it insidertrade.org.
- CMU - Best Overall, Runner up TVitter : If youre a Mystery Science Theater 300 fan, youll love this one. The team hacked our Connected TV widget to produce an app that lets people watch TV together and throw out comments that others can see.
- U Washington - Connected TV (1st place) Recipe Finder : This app lets you find and display recipes and even includes a countdown timer so you dont burn your cupcakes while you get engrossed in Glee.
- Georgia Tech - Connected TV (2nd prize) Fantasy Football Widget : Brings the #1 fantasy sports league to your TV.
- CMU - Best UI Inhabited Web 2.0 : Brings a social filter to individual websites by letting you see where people are congregating on a web page perhaps next to a great deal, interesting news story, or funny video.
- UCSD - Accessibility Audio Texter : An app that allows blind and visually-impaired people send and receive SMS messages.